emulators on a 79

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

emulators on a 79

Post by wyly »

how much benefit will I get from emulators on my 79? From what I read most cbx owners put them in prolink conversions, I haven't come across any that did the conversion with the 35's of the 79.
Switching to the larger 81-82 forks is no longer an option since I installed a 79 sport kit.

Would new Progressive springs by themselves result in a noticeable improvement?
If were to install emulators should I use Racetechs spring as well or Progressive?

I'd like great handling but it's not essential, just better will do, with considerably less fork dive.
Whenever I want better handling I can climb on my GS1150 to satisfy that itch...
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: emulators on a 79

Post by daves79x »

Sport kit works fine with Pro-Link forks and Canadian 1100F bars:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

The VF-700F and 750F Interceptor's use 39mm clip ons also!

39 Honda CX-650C "650 Custom" (83)
39 Honda CB-700SC (84-86)
39 Honda VF-700C "Magna" (85-87)
39 Honda VF-700F "Interceptor" (84-85)
39 Honda VT-700C "Shadow" (84-87)
39 Honda VF-750C "V45 Magna" (8Cool
39 Honda VF-750F "Interceptor" (83-84)
39 Honda VT-750C "Shadow" (83)
39 Honda VT-800C "Shadow" (8Cool
39 Honda CB-900F "Super Sport" (81-82)
39 Honda CB-1000C "Custom" (83)
39 Honda CBX (81-82)
39 Honda CB-1100F "Super Sport" (83)
39 Kawasaki ZR-550B1-B4 (90-93

Mouse
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mouse »

I like the look of that.
Is that a bolt on conversion for a 79 Dave?
Canadian Amateur Radio Call sign VE6 VES

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Essentially, yes. I like the bend of the 1100F bars. I think the non-US spec 900 F bars are the same. Only thing that does not bolt right on from the sport kit is the top brake line. It is a little short due to the wider spacing of the fork tubes. I have Speigler custom-make the line anyway. I've built 3 or 4 like this and they are the most comfortable CBXs I've ridden.

Dave

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

daves79x wrote:Essentially, yes. I like the bend of the 1100F bars. I think the non-US spec 900 F bars are the same. Only thing that does not bolt right on from the sport kit is the top brake line. It is a little short due to the wider spacing of the fork tubes. I have Speigler custom-make the line anyway. I've built 3 or 4 like this and they are the most comfortable CBXs I've ridden.

Dave
I was under the impression my 35mm '79 sport kit bars wouldn't fit the larger 39mm pro-link forks :?
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

They won't. Those are Pro Link forks in the photo with 39mm 1100F bars. The later 900F non-US spec bikes had 39mm bars also. I should have said the top brake line and the bars, but different bars were the subject.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

wyly wrote:how much benefit will I get from emulators on my 79? From what I read most cbx owners put them in prolink conversions, I haven't come across any that did the conversion with the 35's of the 79.
Switching to the larger 81-82 forks is no longer an option since I installed a 79 sport kit.

Would new Progressive springs by themselves result in a noticeable improvement?
If were to install emulators should I use Racetechs spring as well or Progressive?

I'd like great handling but it's not essential, just better will do, with considerably less fork dive.
Whenever I want better handling I can climb on my GS1150 to satisfy that itch...
Wyly, I am a big fan of the RaceTech stuff, have put them in a half dozen bikes by now. You do need to use their springs, which are physically shorter for the same nominal spring rate, plus a spacer, and there is a minor amount of drilling of the damper rods to be done. Easy stuff. They do indeed go a long way to taming boingy front ends and dive, but so do new springs and fresh oil, including s switch to 15w, which seems to be right for me with damper rod forks.

Dave's usual advice re the fork oil is to fill it to 150mm from the top, springs out and fork compressed, which is a bit more than Honda recommends, that's what I use now too.

If you (or any of you guys) decide you are interested in the RaceTech stuff I'd be happy to hook you up with a discount on the setup as we are a dealer for them.

Springs, emulators, seals, copper washers, and oil is about $380, naturally you're going to want to think about the bushings, you know WHILE YOU'RE THERE, and so you're looking at $450-$500 in parts before I discount it 10%. Plus shipping. It ain't super cheap but it's nice to have a totally renovated fork.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

so I'm back to square one... I don't want to change out my 35mm sport kit...

which brings me back to my original questions regarding the Racetech emulators and springs.
are the emulators a worthwhile investment or will a good set of Progressive springs do?
and if I do buy racetech emulators should I go with their springs or Progressive?

I know there are much better options but I'm not looking for the very best setup, just acceptable..which is highly subjective I guess

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

thanks for that info Nils...if I were to just use the Progressive springs will I regret not using emulators later on?

I don't know if you followed my brake conversion on another thread but I now have twin pots on the front so brake dive is noticeably worse than before, do you think Progressives alone would solve that problem?

If I don't get this done this winter I could follow Dave's method for fork setup.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

wyly wrote:thanks for that info Nils...if I were to just use the Progressive springs will I regret not using emulators later on?

I don't know if you followed my brake conversion on another thread but I now have twin pots on the front so brake dive is noticeably worse than before, do you think Progressives alone would solve that problem?

If I don't get this done this winter I could follow Dave's method for fork setup.
What do you weigh Wyly? PM me if you're shy :-). I did that same brake conversion and never regretted it, big upgrade. My opinion is that yes, new springs and fresh 15w oil will get you a meaningful improvement, maybe enough. A recent customer said that work was a big improvement (no emulators, just oil in his case), although the oil might be a bit too heavy for him. RaceTech's springs are a bit more expensive than Progressive's, even with a discount, but you could go that way too, just buy their springs and use a slightly longer spacer for starters, and still have the option to add the emulators later.
Nils Menten

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

NobleHops wrote:
What do you weigh Wyly? PM me if you're shy :-). I did that same brake conversion and never regretted it, big upgrade. My opinion is that yes, new springs and fresh 15w oil will get you a meaningful improvement, maybe enough. A recent customer said that work was a big improvement (no emulators, just oil in his case), although the oil might be a bit too heavy for him. RaceTech's springs are a bit more expensive than Progressive's, even with a discount, but you could go that way too, just buy their springs and use a slightly longer spacer for starters, and still have the option to add the emulators later.
racetech springs with a spacer, that's an excellent option I could add the valves later if needed...

my weight right now is 200lbs, my Surgeon would like me at 175 by March, I think 180 is more sustainable goal.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Shoot me an email if I can help you with this, nils@restocycle.com

Racetech says you ought to use .86 kg/mm springs, stock being .73/mm

MSRP is $140, I can likely get them to your door at that price, but you might like to order some 15w oil too, will add ~$15 bucks. At your service!

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/2/Hon ... rt/1979-80

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Fork Spring Rate: 0.845 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Fork Spring Rate: .730 kg/mm (stock)
Nils Menten

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I put RaceTech into both my pro=link and my '78 Suzuki. THE best investment you can make for suspension. (Next to a Progressive shock with the pro-link.) If you're a DIY type, the RaceTech might be about $300 total, including springs. One thing I don't know regarding the '79 with the 35mm tubes is whether the RaceTech valves are a 'simple' drop-in. With my Suzuki, which has 35mm tubes, I had to have an adapter made to seat the valves into the fork tube. A simple thing -- just need to find a local machine shop to do a little lathe work for you. The valves are a 'drop-in' with the 39mm tubes.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Larry Zimmer wrote:I put RaceTech into both my pro=link and my '78 Suzuki. THE best investment you can make for suspension. (Next to a Progressive shock with the pro-link.) If you're a DIY type, the RaceTech might be about $300 total, including springs. One thing I don't know regarding the '79 with the 35mm tubes is whether the RaceTech valves are a 'simple' drop-in. With my Suzuki, which has 35mm tubes, I had to have an adapter made to seat the valves into the fork tube. A simple thing -- just need to find a local machine shop to do a little lathe work for you. The valves are a 'drop-in' with the 39mm tubes.
A quick scan of RaceTech's site indicates that the adapters are NOT needed for the twin shock fork, although I DID need them for my 400F. If they are needed they are nothing more than an aluminum bushing, and are $20 per pair from RaceTech.
Nils Menten

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”