Performance: Engine RPM at 60mph

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

dan1995 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Your acting more like Goerge everyday....Too much time on your hands
Tough boots to fill Dan... :lol:
ICOA # 656

bbqb4racin
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bbqb4racin »

Like I mentioned on the other site. I'm running 18/45 with a 180/55-17 rear tire. Needless to say, she gets up on the tach pretty quick. 0-100 is decent for the bike's size and HP. Gotta give the late model sportbikes a little run for their money ya know!

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Just for fun, one day while working on a large diesel motor, I ran the numbers in my head to compare the feet/sec of the main bearings of a CBX v. the large diesel in a working range of rpm. For convenience, I used red-line for the speed. Of course a CBX might spend a great deal of it's time at half that, or less, while diesel would be near red-line most of the time.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the CBX bearings travel less feet/sec than the diesel, at full rpm. Piston speed was even more dramatic because of the under-square bore/stroke of the CBX.

So what's the point of all this? Well, I had been considering a re-gear of my CBX because it sounded too "busy". Now I realize that with reasonable care, the motor should last longer than I will.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

Don #6141

Post by Don #6141 »

My 'fun car' is a Mazda Miata and they are geared so that in top gear at freeway speed the engine turns a bit over 4,000 RPM's - Like a CBX, they don't make much power until you get above 4500

Anyway, the Miata 1.6 and 1.8 engines are just about bulletproof and there are lots of them running around with a quarter million miles on them without any major work being done

I like 'busy' engines myself . . . . so long as they're geared where they can make the most of their high RPM power

Don

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you are just cruising around, the ideal rpm to do that at, is the point of maximum torque. This will give you optimum acceleration in case you need it. A perfect tarnsmission would be geared such, that you upshift at the max hp point and your engine rpm drops exactly to the max torque point. Torque is responsible for acceleration and thus the "seat-of-the pants" feel. Horsepower is responsible for retaining top speed. So, unless you are out there, full throttle, trying to get from A to B as fast as you can, horsepower and where it occurs is not so important.

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

Rick Pope wrote:Piston speed was even more dramatic because of the under-square bore/stroke of the CBX.
You meant to say "over-square", right Rick? (64.5 x 53.4)
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC
We Breathe New Life into Old Bikes

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Easy to remember is :
Oversquare=Short stroke, Undersquare=Long Stroke

Bore/Stroke >1 = Oversquare
Bore/Stroke <1 = Undersquare

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Dang. Bill caught me in the middle of a brain fart. Indeed, I meant over-square. Typing fingers were faster than my brain.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

Rick Pope wrote:Dang. Bill caught me in the middle of a brain fart.
Hey no problem, Rick, we aggies need to stick together. Anyone who knows the word imidazolinone, what crop it's for and the use rate in oz per acre from memory gets my instant respect.
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

wasn't that a hallucini (?) drug from the 60's in CA?
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

That's hallucinogen George. :lol:
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

[quote]Anyone who knows the word imidazolinone, what crop it's for and the use rate in oz per acre.

Well Bill, it's now for two crops. You can use it on certain corn varieties, known as "Clearfield" too. You been away from it that long? :)
Rick Pope

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

bdento59 wrote: Anyone who knows the word imidazolinone, what crop it's for and the use rate in oz per acre from memory gets my instant respect.
The imidazolinone herbicides possess high biological potency at low application rates, and thus are an attractive alternative for weed control. The induction of genes conferring resistance by mutagenesis could facilitate the use of imidazolinones as an alterative weed control system in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Six M3:6 spring wheat lines resistant to imidazolinone herbicides were identified following seed mutagenesis and were selected for genetic study. The lines were designated as 1A, 9A, 10A, 11A, 15A, and 16A. BW755 carries a previously characterized partially dominant resistance gene (FS-4). On the basis of analysis of F1, F2, backcross (BC)1F1 and F2:3 populations, resistance in lines 1A, 9A, 10A, 11A, and 16A is a partially dominant trait inherited as a single nuclear gene. Resistance in TealIMI 15A is dominant and is inherited as two independent nuclear-coded genes. Allelism studies indicated that resistance genes in 1A, 9A, 10A, 16A, and one of the resistance genes in 15A are allelic to FS-4. All crosses between resistant lines and 11A produced segregating F2 and F2:3 populations suggesting the presence of a unique resistance gene in 11A. The resistance genes were named on the basis of the recommended rules for gene symbolization in wheat. The FS-4 allele was redesignated as Imi1. The resistance gene in 11A and the second resistance gene in 15A were designated as Imi2 and Imi3, respectively. Results from these studies indicate that higher levels of imidazolinone resistance in wheat could be achieved by stacking two or more genes into a single genotype.

:suspect: :suspect:

bdento59
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bdento59 »

The imidazolinone herbicides possess high biological potency at low application rates, and thus are an attractive alternative for weed control. The induction of genes conferring resistance <mercy>
Cut and past plagiarism... less respect :oops: http://crop.scijournals.org/cgi/content ... ct/44/1/23
Bill Denton
Yardley, PA
wkdenton@verizon.net
Lazarus Cycleworks, LLC

dan1995
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by dan1995 »

God I can't WAIT for winter :roll: :D ........so what oil is best :?:
Dan 1995

Triple x owner 79,81,82
Ironbutt member #24745
Coast to coast and border to border on a CBX
My goal was to ride farther and faster than my wife could bitch....
I needed a faster bike....
So I got a BUSA!!!!!

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”