Bay Architect's Handlebar Problem

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Bay Architect's Handlebar Problem

Post by EMS »

Leon,

I thought I start a new thread in the proper section!
I think you may have, although you are convinced you do not, the wrong handlebar. Here are a few pictures to illustrate this:

First two pictures are a comparison between a NOS left side Euro prolink handlebar, p/n 53160-MA2-610, the same part used and polished and an unidentified 39mm short rise handlebar that looks very similar. Please look close at the part where the diameter of the handlebar steps up towards the upright part. On the non-CBX part, that section is significantly shorter.

Next two pictures are of a left side armature slid on the polished part. (I used this in order not to mar the NOS piece and maybe to show a better contrast between parts). As you can see, there is plenty of clearance all around. The choke bracket parts don't even come close to the riser.
Which leads me to believe, your part does have a shorter large diameter section between mounting area and riser.

The last two pictures show the available length of mounting area on the bar total and remaining after choke/clutch bracket is mounted. This indicates another potential problem. If you remove the bar end weight to mount a mirror, you may not have enough free area left to mount your grip between clutch bracket and end of bar.

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

You just nailed it, my friend...

Post by BayArchitect »

Yep--that's the problem. My handlebars have the short shoulders. And I spent a lot of time polishing these, because they appeared to fit, at first blush, and I was assured by the seller that they were CBX bars. Now, I need to find a genuine set of low bars. Any ideas?

Louis
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Louis »

Leon, Will send the low bars out on Tuesday. Thanks Louis

For all your CBX oem Parts. www.usedcbxparts.com

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: You just nailed it, my friend...

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

BayArchitect wrote:Yep--that's the problem. My handlebars have the short shoulders. And I spent a lot of time polishing these, because they appeared to fit, at first blush, and I was assured by the seller that they were CBX bars. Now, I need to find a genuine set of low bars. Any ideas?
You do not need CBX sport kit clipons for a CBX. Honda CBX Interceptor clip ons are a great alternative to CBX Sport clip ons and far cheaper.

In my view the CBX Sport Clip Ons are too narrow for the weight of the CBX and finally have an awkward angle....again in my view.

I switched over to 37mm Interceptor clip ons to solve all these issues and had them bored out to 39mm to fit the 1100f forks I have...then added 3/4" to the ends.........welllla ....power steering and comfortable. 10x better that stock CBX sport kit clip ons.

If you have 35mm forks you can sleeve the 37mm interceptor clipons.

I can post a pix if you want.

MIke
My CBX lives near Harrisburg, Pa USA
Team222 = 2 Ole, 2 Fat and wayyyy 2 Slow

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

When using non-CBX bars, you need to address the locator pins. None of the other Honda bars have them in the same spot. As you can see in the picture, the Euro 39mm CBX bars are also among the beefier ones of the bunch.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

EMS wrote:When using non-CBX bars, you need to address the locator pins. None of the other Honda bars have them in the same spot. As you can see in the picture, the Euro 39mm CBX bars are also among the beefier ones of the bunch.
Good point.....I will check my Interceptor clipons to see if the locator pins are still there ........all my changes took place 20 years ago and hate to admit it but I forget the details.

I might have just cut them off or had them rewelded to the correct location if indeed they were not in the right location. I will check and get back to everyone....but again rewelding the Interceptor pins to the correct location is a good option.

Pin matter aside....the Interceptor clipons are a great improvement over the the CBX Sport Clipons which again "in my view" are far too narrow and short for the weight of the CBX and for me they were uncomfortable.

If you are going to ride your CBX like it was intended every so often on the back roads/twisties the Interceptor change is something to consider............if your CBX is just another bike in your garage to look at or profile at rallies and bikes shows ....stock sport clips are great.

Mike

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

I just picked up the phone and placed the order...

Post by BayArchitect »

Upon learning why the controls don't fit quite right, I contacted LOUIS (yes, 10pm Sunday night), and he responded immediately. He is express-mailing a set of euro bars to me so I can fix the problem. My experience is that he is usually cheaper than anything on Ebay, and his service and quality are excellent. Mike, I would really like to see a photo of your bars, because the bars that caused the problem for me are different than those in the above photos--they have the beefy base, like the CBX bars, but with short shoulders. Also, my bars have no attached bar-end weights. They appear to be solid and they are smooth, with no ridges or grooves, to the end of the bar. They measure 22cm from the end of the bar to the shoulder. Anyone know what these bars were originally designed for? I could take a photo if that would help.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The most common alternative bars available in the U.S. for 39mm forks are Interceptor bars. Some other bikes that had similar 35 or 39mm clip ons were not available in the U.S. (maybe Canada), like CBX550,650 and 750. One really needs to compare with the originals, that's why I dug out the NOS parts to be sure the polished ones were the same. Of which bars do you want another picture? The non-CBX bars?
These here are different yet. They are 39mm from a European CBX750

Last edited by EMS on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Re: I just picked up the phone and placed the order...

Post by Chris »

BayArchitect wrote:Upon learning why the controls don't fit quite right, I contacted LOUIS (yes, 10pm Sunday night), and he responded immediately. He is express-mailing a set of euro bars to me so I can fix the problem. My experience is that he is usually cheaper than anything on Ebay, and his service and quality are excellent. Mike, I would really like to see a photo of your bars, because the bars that caused the problem for me are different than those in the above photos--they have the beefy base, like the CBX bars, but with short shoulders. Also, my bars have no attached bar-end weights. They appear to be solid and they are smooth, with no ridges or grooves, to the end of the bar. They measure 22cm from the end of the bar to the shoulder. Anyone know what these bars were originally designed for? I could take a photo if that would help.
I have a set of bars like you describe and they are from a VF750F. They are 39mm. Mine came with spacers so that the height of them could be adjusted.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: I just picked up the phone and placed the order...

Post by EMS »

Chris wrote:
BayArchitect wrote: I have a set of bars like you describe and they are from a VF750F. They are 39mm. Mine came with spacers so that the height of them could be adjusted.
The VF750F is the "Interceptor"

Also, Leon, the bars are all smooth. What you see as "grooves" or "ridges" towards the end of the bars are the flat sides on the weights to fit a wrench.

BayArchitect
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Thanks for the help!

Post by BayArchitect »

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully the new bars from Louis will fix the problem. I'm starting two new threads. Check them out.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Thanks for the help!

BayArchitect wrote:Thanks for all your help. Hopefully the new bars from Louis will fix the problem. I'm starting two new threads. Check them out.
Great and that's how we all learn and benefit.

Post a Q, get replies/recommendations, follow the recommendation you feel is best .... and tell us all about what worked and what did not work.

Repeat until it's fixed once and for all if necessary

That's the value of all of us helping each other.

Best

Mike

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”