Is it worth ditching 630 chain setup

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Is it worth ditching 630 chain setup

Post by AshishNJ »

I have this near new 630 chain setup on 79. The person who restored before me wanted to keep everything original . I am wondering if I switch to 530, will I feel any diffference in riding or would it be a pure cosmetic change (other than some weight saving I guess)
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Is it worth ditching 630 chain setup

Post by NobleHops »

It's definitely overkill, strength-wise compared to a modern 530 chain, and it's definitely heavier. It's unsprung mass and so has a disproportionately large effect, weight-wise, but OTOH and to answer your question, will you feel a difference? I doubt it. OTOH, if that was worth 1% and you found 9 other things that might give you 1%, you would feel it.

In your shoes I'd leave it there, even if I would not have PUT it there. It's not like our CBXs are fast or anything :-).

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I imagine there's a 2-3lb weight saving once you change sprockets as well. I did a before and after weigh-in when I converted my GS1150 chain/sprockets, just under 3lbs lost. The benefits of shaving weight is cumulative and improvements with each weight reduction aren't very noticeable during casual riding even though they must be present. If it were me I'd leave it as is until it needs replacing and then make the conversion to 530, unsprung weight matters.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

With the miles most of us put on, replacement will be required about 2050.

Dave

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Thanks for the comments. I will leave it as is. I am hardly putting over 1500 miles in an year . Other bikes chew away the ride time from her. Not that it is no fun bike, but newer bikes handle back roads much nicely :) and can stop at a dime.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”