1980 Honda CBX rear shock settings

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

1980 Honda CBX rear shock settings

Post by Bill Kemp »

Hello folks:

I just thought I would ask you all about how you set the original CBX rear shocks.

There is a top adjuster that has 3 positions on it (dampener adjustment I think)

There is a bottom spring adjuster (pre load spring adjustment)

So where do you guys put yours. Never hurts to get opinions on how others set up thier bikes

Thanks for any assistance

Bill Kemp

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 1980 Honda CBX rear shock settings

Post by daves79x »

Your ‘80 shocks actually have two damping adjustment, the one on top and the little lever at the very bottom between the clevis arms. 3 positions on top and two on the bottom. Then you obviously have the spring preload. As these things wear, I found using position 2 at the top and bottom and the middle spring preload position worked fine for a relative lightweight.

Dave

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Thanks for letting me know Dave.

So what is a relative light weight. I am 220 lbs.

The bike is getting its new DID 630 VS chain on it right now. I had the local motorcycle shop put it on as I don't own a chain breaking or rivet tool. Figured it was better to get them to do it. The only thing I am not happy with is that the new chain came with a clip type master link. I might order a rivet one and have that put on.

Any thoughts on rivet master link vs clip type?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

165 lbs. Your results will differ. Clip type is all we ever used back in the day. Most good modern chains come with rivet type, FWIW I wouldn't worry about it.

Dave

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Back in racing days when using a clip type master, we were required to apply silicone or something similar
to the clip and outer link plate* to keep the clip from working loose. I started doing that as standard procedure on customer's bikes. Never a problem with clip type masters.

*the outer plate and clip must be clean, dry.
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Also from racing, on shock settings we used a firm setting for compression and light setting
for rebound. For 220lbs. I would use no. 3 firm on the preload. (I weigh about 220).
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Thanks for the info guys. I got the bike back with the new chain on it. I was advised that he would have liked to take one more link out but he found it was too close to the swing arm so he made it longer

The setting is way back on the adjuster so I might ride it a bit and let the chain stretch out a bit and then have a link taken off. For a brand new chain it seems like there is not much adjustment left.

Anyone know how many links are supposed to be on a 630 chain to be set back to spec?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

This is why you need a 530 chain - the adjusters are different and this is the problem you run into. Your solution is to get the '79 adjusters and take a link out, or get a correct 530 chain. But you may not find a 4-bolt 530 rear sprocket as you mentioned. Then you need the correct Comstars. One modification leads to another, then another.....

Dave

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Thanks Dave

That is why I am trying to keep it simple and just buy another 630 chain.

I think he did not cut the chain to the same number of links as the one that was on it. I will count them later today.

Perhaps they will stretch out a bit and I can then remove the links.

I don't want to spend all the money on new comstar wheels, then new tires to fit the comstar, new sprockets and chain as well when all I need to do to be able to ride the bike is just out another 630 chain on with the correct number of links as before.

Appreciate the help and advice

Bill

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

FWIW, the tire size is the same. The rear rotor is different as is the sprocket. Plus some wheel spacers apparently. I never knew Lester to make bolt-on wheels for the CBX, and this confirms it. Don't know what you have in the bike, and don't want to know - none of my business, but the bike is quite rare in that shape and does deserve to be put back to stock, IMHO.

Dave

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Thanks Dave

The bike is the way I bought it. Perhaps in time I will change things back to stock

Or

If I don’t like it that much I will sell it and let the new owner change it to stock. With only 9000 km on it I am sure it will be an easy sell if I choose to go that route

Bill

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Hey folks:

Are the stock wheels for the 1980 CBX the black ones shown on the black CBX or would they be the silver ones like the Red CBX that we see on the 1979 model. Only asking since my bike is a red bike with glossy black side covers.

Also:

I presently have brand new Avon Roadrider MKii tires on my bike. The tire sizes are:

Front 100/90-19 57V
Rear 120-/90-18 65V

Would these fit on the original Honda wheels in the event I decide to purchase a set to bring it back to original.

Presently the front Lester Wheel on my bike has a 5 bolt pattern and as such I think the brake rotors are the original Honda ones

Let me know your thoughts guys

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

I just found a picture of a 1980 Honda CBX that was restored by a guy named Mr. CBX

It has the same red as mine with the black wheels. Would this be what my bike should look like to be correct

Bill
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes Bill, the red '80 is how yours should look (some had gloss side covers and some had satin). As I said, your tires are the correct size for the stock wheels. Let me be clear, it's your bike, you do as you wish. I'm personally a stock bike guy, as you can tell. Just pointing out things that might be helpful for you to know should you choose to go that route. There is virtually nothing you could ask that the collective group here cannot answer about the CBX.

A little clarification about Comstar wheels. The stock '80 reverse black wheels are kind of rare, they only made about 4500 bikes. 900F wheels are the same from '81-82. Also, the Pro-Link CBX wheels bolt right on and are each a bit wider, using the same tire size. They are much more available. The look is exactly the same as stock.

Dave

Bill Kemp
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Bill Kemp »

Thanks Dave

I like you am a stock guy. I guess you can tell that from my CB750 restoration. When I got that bike it had 6" longer forks, higher handlebars and no boot rubbers. The sleazy rider look.

I brought it back to stock.

I would like to do the same with this one so it would be nice to put original wheels back on the bike at some point in time. I just want to ride it for a while so I will use what is on it for now.

If anyone here has a lead on a nice set of 1980 proper wheels (that won't break the bank) please send a pm to me

Thanks kindly

Bill Kemp

Return to “HANDLING: Suspension, Gearing, Frame Bracing, Non X Handling Part Upgrades, Rim Replacement Options, and more”