Best sound

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Best sound

Post by Kool_Biker »

OK, not sure how to start this ...

But I have bought an new and expensive Delkevic replica OEM exhaust to replace my very old and rusty Marshall 6 to 1 for my Z, only to realise that its sound at anything less than about 6,500 RPM is simply mediocre and cannot begin to be compared to the howl my lowly Marshall.

Is there anything I can do to the Delkevic to improve matters? Half of the CBX charisma must surely be its exhaust sound and despite some of us, I spend relatively little time at 6,500 RPM and beyond.

Cheers, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Best sound

Post by gak1047 »

I know what you mean. I have the stock exhaust on my 80 and it leaves a lot to be desired compared to the D&D 6 into 1 I had on my 79. Although I am sure my neighbors like my stock exhaust a lot more.

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I know that was half in jest, but there is some truth to that - The Delkevic actually sounds great, for a stock pipe that is, to hear it go by. While ON the bike it is unremarkable except at full honk.

Steve G did a comparison video a few years back. Lemme see if I can find you a link Aris...

EDIT: Here you go - Steve's caption:

4 different CBX's, 4 different pipes 1) Pipemaster 6 into 6; 2) Kerker 6 into 1; 3) Stock '82 pipes; 4) Bassani 6 into 1, running through 1st and 2nd gears

N.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Thank you guys, but this does not solve my (our) problem ...
The question is what evasive action there can be applied to the Delkevic, to improve its sound.
I am ignorant about exhausts. But I would imagine the existing baffles can come out quite easily, just by drilling out the two rivetts shown in the attached pic.
P1120407.jpg
And then ... what ?? Help!

Cheers, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

gak1047
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by gak1047 »

I am not an expert on exhaust systems by any stretch of the imagination but I can tell you this. Years ago in the late 70's and early 80's I worked at a local honda dealer as a mechanic. We had several customers drilling holes into their stock exhaust near the area in your photograh. Their bikes ran horrible. So bad in fact that we had to plug the holes back up to get them to run right again. Their is a science to designing and manufacturing exhaust systems that is well above my working knowledge. When you alter them you alter the way the bike runs as well as how it sounds. My advise would be to refinish the system you replaced and hang onto the Delkevic system or pick up a set of the Pipemasters, they sound awsome.

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

All points above are fair, and I thank you.
But this is also why I am asking for the collective wisdom of our forum.
Cheers, Aris
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Can't help you there Aris. I'm a stock exhaust guy. Love 'em the way they came.

Dave

barryadam
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by barryadam »

Kool_Biker wrote:I am ignorant about exhausts.
Somehow, I doubt that, Aris.
The internals of your muffler may be the same as the original, which is well detailed in the links in this site...

http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/englis ... %7C+%96%F3+

Barry

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by FalldownPhil »

Aris,
If I were in your position, I believe that I would drill out those rivits just to see what is in there. Very possibly, the baffels are wraped in fiberglass or some other sound killer. You might be able to remove a quantity of the wrap to produce the desired sound. I have done this with many different systems. There is even a fair chance that you will not have to re-jet although you will not know until you get there. Usually, it is intake more than exhaust that will require jetting changes.
Best,
Phil
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

Kool_Biker
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Kool_Biker »

Hi Phil, what you say makes total sense, I was just trying to avoid all this experimentation :(.
Having already spent about 2.5 zillion hours restoring, building and re building my bike, I was hoping for a quick win ...

Last weekend I witnessed some bike classic racing near Athens. There were about 30 bikes in total, all classic, of various types, some quite juicy stuff.
And, there was a single CBX B or C (naked though).
P1120424.jpg
After the runs, there was a general consensus among most spectators that it had by far the best sound.
It was a joy to hear this bike flat out around the track. As for its exhaust, I think it was a six into 1 laser ...

In case you are wondering why yours not racing, I am carefully running my Z ...
And in any way, early in the day it got friendly with a certain lady there (borrowed from the Ducati clan) and was refusing to do anything for me :(. No manners, at all ...
P1120524 - Version 2 (1).jpg

Cheers, Aris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aris Hadjiaslanis
ICOA # 6309
Berkshire, Windsor

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Bubblelishess... :o

fastfreddy52
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Best sound exhaust

Post by fastfreddy52 »

This system was custom made and was on a 79 I bought years ago and since sold , big mistake as I put an ignition, accel coils, modified clutch basket , no rattle , an external alternator , a primary sprocket for an 82 which lowers the RPM whilst cruising and more . Six Dirt Bike Cans polished up and down spouts welded to the rear plates on the cans . Very cool , I’m trying to have a set created for me off of the pictures . Not only did they look cool but whomever packed them with fiberglass got the sound just right . I’m working on anothe4 79 and will set it up the same way .

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Welcome! Pipemasters makes a quite nice 6-6 exhaust if that's the way you want to go. To each his own, but have to say I'm not a fan of those custom pipes, but I'm not a 6-6 fan anyway. Carry on though!

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I remember a member from Michigan (Mike?) made an almost identical exhaust for his black '80. Maybe he will chime in.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”