Exhaust Gasket Sealant?

quincydubois
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Exhaust Gasket Sealant?

Post by quincydubois »

Just pulled out my copper exhaust gaskets to install new pipes. I will use new copper gaskets but I noticed that the old gaskets were installed with some sort of liquid or paste gasket sealer to provide a better seal. And the stuff actually had some elasticity left. Anybody know if this gasket sealant is neccessary to use with the new gaskets? What is it?

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

I actually use high temperature silicone sealer for the sole reason to hold the copper gaskets while I install, having set them there the night before..... I "glue" them on the exhaust pipe flanges as it makes installation so much easier.

Not a real problem with the wire wound "asbestos" type as they just set up in the ports. Whether the sealant assists in the leak proof properties I do not know.......

PS If you anneal the copper gaskets you can re-use ( if not obviously deformed) as I have done. Heat them cherry red & whilst in that condition, drop them in a bucket of water to soften them.

cbx4evr
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cbx4evr »

Ditto Larry on the Sillycone.
"It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then. "

cbxtacy
Posting God
Posting God

Post by cbxtacy »

I bend mine into a slightly oval shape so they won't fall out, install the pipes, warm the bike up and re-tighten the nuts, and have never had a leak. I only replace my gaskets when I drop one on the floor and can't find it.
one out of four people in this country is mentally unbalanced
think of your three closest friends, if they're okay then
YOU'RE THE ONE

Ken Gluckman

Post by Ken Gluckman »

I just use a small dab of grease to hold the gasket in place during installation. Is there any problem with doing that?

Ken

Terry
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Terry »

Ken Gluckman wrote:I just use a small dab of grease to hold the gasket in place during installation. Is there any problem with doing that?

Ken

No, other than some smoking when running until it burns off.
It ain't the destination, its the journey...

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”