CBX 1979 exhaust stamping

kwbikr
New Member & Happy To Be Here

CBX 1979 exhaust stamping

Post by kwbikr »

I have a recently-acquired 1979 CBX "survivor"...two owner 7000 mile original, apparently unmolested as best I can determine...I have an '80 I bought in 1995 with 33 miles on it...Here's my question:

My '80 has the original pipes on it, they have no marking on the top of the mufflers at all...

The '79 I just got has what appear to be factory pipes on it, they show some honest wear and a very few flaws, but they have a "USA and Canada" text stamped into the tops of both mufflers...I have seen this before but assumed the "text" stamped versions were Honda replacement OEM pipes...I'm pretty certain this bike is all original and I recently saw another '79 "survivor" with the stamped mufflers on it...

What can the brain trust tell me about this seemingly odd difference in the mufflers?

Thanks in advance...

KW

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: CBX 1979 exhaust stamping

Post by jnnngs »

They are as you say - OEM / Honda replacements sold for the Canada / USA market. Would not have had these fitted at the factory, so have been replaced at some point in its life.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, KW.
How about an introductory thread with some pics of your bikes. Maybe a thread about getting the '79 back on the road.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

The original factory exhausts had a Sankei stamp and a Honda ID stamp. The Honda stamp for 1979 was HM422, for 1980 it was HM469. These stamps are close to the hanger brackets and can be seen when the exhaust is mounted.
Neither one of these exhaust had a "crossover" pipe, a connection of the two sides right behind the headers. If one of your exhausts has this, it is a "Prolink" (81/82) exhaust, which was stamped HMMA2. The larger "text stamp" was an EPA mandate for replacement exhausts. While I have seen these for 81/82, I have never seen a HM422 or HM469 with an EPA stamp. Then again, I have not seen everything...

kwbikr

Post by kwbikr »

OK, these are HM422's and they have the EPA stamp on top...I'm working to figure out the image posting method...pics will follow
CBX 79a (20).JPG
CBX 79a (19).JPG
CBX 79a (17).JPG
CBX 79a (16).JPG
CBX 79a (15).JPG
CBX 79a (5).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, all versions of replacement pipes from Honda had the 'paragraph' stamping, at least for the US and Canada markets. I have a replacement 469 pipe with it on.

Dave

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

What'd I tell ya :-)/ Welcome Kim!
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

I met a restorer online in Pakistan who has acquired a project bike that was imported to Pakistan in 1992. I was assisting him in identifying what he had, a 79(53/9/27 unit #9) with what appear to be a number of CB1100 additions. The exhaust appears visually to be rust rust free and I instructed him to check out the code on the exhaust for identification. I haven't heard back as yet due to time zone differences.

Anyways that got me to look at my oems hanging on the wall, HM422 was there but then I found another stamp I'd never recalled seeing before "SANKEI 2040". Is that common or is that just me being unobservant.
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

wyly wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 pm

Anyways that got me to look at my oems hanging on the wall, HM422 was there but then I found another stamp I'd never recalled seeing before "SANKEI 2040". Is that common or is that just me being unobservant.
All the original Z model exhausts were stamped sankei 2040.

wyly
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by wyly »

jnnngs wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:09 am
wyly wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:39 pm

All the original Z model exhausts were stamped sankei 2040.
yup unobservant, probably the 1st time I looked at them closely in 42 years. :roll:
CBX a work in progress, still improving...GS1150EFE completed and awaiting modifications.....RD350, remnants in boxes scattered throughout the garage

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”