Baffle removal

Alantom
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Baffle removal

Post by Alantom »

Hi

New member on here, is it possible remove baffles from an original system, found a plater who says he can re chrome if no baffles fitted.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Baffle removal

Post by tevan »

You can’t remove them without cutting into them. You have to cut at the first weld joint from the back of the muffler all the way around.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

There's a spot weld at the back of the muffler where the baffle protrudes, grind it off and the baffle will slide out. The baffle is just a pressure fit into the diffuser up inside the muffler.
IMG_0208.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Jeff inside the pipe isn’t that part of the baffle?

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I wish I could post pictures easy here and I would take a picture of the one I took apart.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

tevan wrote:Jeff inside the pipe isn’t that part of the baffle?
Yes, I cross-sectioned the muffler to see how the baffle connected to the diffuser cone. Like the OP my chrome guy would not re-chrome the pipes with the baffle still in place, I had these wrecked pipes so I cut them in half.

If you expand the picture of the end cap I posted, you will see a spot weld on the inside of the baffle, top inside, just down from the baffle lip, you can also see the gap between baffle lip and the end of muffler, caused by the rear end collision. Tevan, your mileage may differ, I'm not sure all yrs or runs of CBX exhausts are the same.
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0210.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dynamohum
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Dynamohum »

Alantom wrote:Hi

New member on here, is it possible remove baffles from an original system, found a plater who says he can re chrome if no baffles fitted.
Shouldn’t all that has to be done first is run them thru the same process as in rebuilding a radiator, in the dunk tank? That way the chromer’s dip tanks won’t get fouled.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Dynamohum wrote:
Alantom wrote:Hi

Shouldn’t all that has to be done first is run them thru the same process as in rebuilding a radiator, in the dunk tank? That way the chromer’s dip tanks won’t get fouled.
No, because with the baffle still in the pipe it can absorb the chemicals from the dunk tank, two bad things can happen, those chemicals then get transferred to the dip tanks and contaminate them and any dunk tank chemicals left behind inside the exhaust system will cause rot from the inside.

P.S. Look close at the CBX baffle that is cross sectioned in the 2nd to last pic here, l haven't checked it but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not some kind of compacted asbestos fiber, no one wants to fool with it.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”