Anyone installed new 6-1 Delkevic?

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Anyone installed new 6-1 Delkevic?

Post by cross »

Has anyone installed new Delkevic 6-1 that can post review with pictures and perhaps video with sound?

Thanks
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Anyone installed new 6-1 Delkevic?

Post by EMS »

Cross is talking about the 6-1!!!
I have not seen one of these in person or a picture of one on a bike. The 81/82 stock pipes had a crossover to maximize lower end torque and throttle response. Don't know how well a 6-1 would work on a Prolink.
6-1s are usually worse in performance at the lower rpm band. Never was a friend of them. Even the infamous "Schuele" was not my favorite. Had one once and never thought it was a great exhaust for riding a CBX in the US. Also didn't like the "unbalanced" look of the bike and sold it. My all-time favorite non-stock exhaust for the CBX is the SS Supertrapp.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Yes I was referring to 6-1, thank you Dave anyway.
Doesn’t this 6-1 Delkevic have 6-2-1!? Is there any difference?
Anyway, my bike came with what looks like DG 6-1 and with original as well.
I like the look and sound of DG but performance sucks, it’s all up high. I’ve since bought ceramic coated RC engineering but haven’t installed it as I don’t like the look of ceramic coating, prefer chrome so it’s still in the box as well.
Cone shaped Delkevic looks nice although from what I saw, can seems a bit too long so was wondering if someone can post pics and review of the system

Thank you for the input
Sasha
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sorry - must have still been sleeping when I read the post. Carry on.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

6-into-1 or 4-into-1: typical performance is soft mid-range. Performance gain is top end -- somewhere around 7000+. Looks and sound can be neat. (Although, I agree with EMS about the unbalanced look on the CBX). A matter of what means the most to someone. Yep, the SuperTrapp is a pretty set-up.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Alstann
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Alstann »

cross wrote:Has anyone installed new Delkevic 6-1 that can post review with pictures and perhaps video with sound?

Thanks
Sasha
Hi Sasha,

I do have the Delkevic 6-2-1 exhaust with the "café" tapered end can installed on my bike. When I get back from a work trip later this week, I'll do my best to get an exhaust video out on YouTube for ya. It's a decently unique sound - the larger collectors and pipes lend itself to a throatier sound with a bit of howl at the top end.

James

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Thank you James, how is the fit and finish and installation, performace, etc?
What exhaust did you have on it before and how do you compare low and mid range power to previous exhaust?

Thanks
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

I have just seen this thread. I went from a 6 into 6 Pipemasters exhaust (in reality two 3 into 1 into 3's) to the Delkevic 6 into 1 on my racer. The main reason was to improve quick access to the back axle for faster wheel changes and to reduce weight and in this regard it was successful.

However, as EMS opined it created a big hole around 4,000 rpm and it did not improve power anywhere. In fact it knocked 5-10 hp off the top on Roly Skate's dyno compared with the Pipemasters.

After experimenting running it without the muffler I am now ditching the Delkevic and having a couple of sets of light weight 6 into 2's (really two 3 into 1's) custom made. Irimajiri san who designed the CBX was quoted saying the big multi is fairly sensitive to exhaust resonance and he settled on two 3 into 1's. My fabricator has discussed the merits of balance tubes and I may have more to say on this. The reason for two sets is so that when I crash I have spares.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Not that it really matters, but Soichiro Irimajiri was in charge of a segment of Honda Motorcycle engineering. He did not design the CBX, although he gets credit for it everywhere. It has something to do with the Japanese "theocratic" culture in business where only the top dog is allowed to get the accolades. If you read contemporary European magazine reports about the CBX being unveiled, you will find different names of people who were responsible for the design.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

Not to mention the relatively small race team that had so many 6's to fettle and develop. Just as well that they never got around to the 500, I reckon. Might have been the straw on the camel's back.

I remember back in 1980 when I was in Hong Kong doing some work for a successful Shanghainese tycoon, his observations about the collective nature of the Japanese in business in those days. It was all about the team rather than the individual thereby possibly exposing a vulnerability. His was a divide and conquer approach. Certainly one of the great drawbacks for the Japanese in business has been their unusually homogenous society and very few ever made comfortable travelers. That is probably less true today and Honda have to take some credit for that.

Nevertheless, the comment about the sensitivity of the 6 cylinder motor to the exhaust design is the pertinent point in terms of the initial enquiry regarding the Delkevic 6 into 1. It would be interesting to do a back to back on the dyno with their 6 into 2.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As always, mind the carb tuning with different exhaust. Typically, larger main for 6-1 with, possibly, a notch lower needle for the mid-range. Dave? Mike?
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I have a Kerker 6 -1 with a Super Trap straight through
canister muffler on my '82. Stock main and pilot jets,
idle screws 1 1/2 turns out. Runs perfect.

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

hondaman160mph wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:56 am
I have a Kerker 6 -1 with a Super Trap straight through
canister muffler on my '82. Stock main and pilot jets,
idle screws 1 1/2 turns out. Runs perfect.
Thanks for the feedback. Always helps someone. That's what makes this thing tick!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

Years ago at a motorcycle race at Brainerd International
Raceway a Honda mechanic tuning motorcycles told
me, the fuel flow through a jet isn't necessarily a fixed
rate, always remember, the stronger the signal the
higher the flow.

Warwick Biggs
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Warwick Biggs »

By "the signal" do you mean the right wrist or something else?

Off the point but I was driving the pace car today carrying the medic for a round of our State Championship when a rider crashed at very high speed at the end of the straight. I had to cut his leathers off so that the medic could assess his injuries b4 lifting him into the ambo. Broken hip and leg for sure but what got me was his age. He was only 16 years old (just a boy really) and racing with the top seniors who take no prisoners. No doubt he is quick but I really have to question the contemporary trend of ever younger competitors in such a dangerous sport.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”