NOS 1979 CBX exhaust Identification...

CBX4E
New Member & Happy To Be Here

NOS 1979 CBX exhaust Identification...

Post by CBX4E »

I bought an new exhaust system from Honda for my '79 CBX back in the '90's to have because it had Supertrapps on it. I never used them and I still have the bike. I was looking at the pipes today and noticed they have a "WARNING" stamped on them. I didn't see that stamping on another original '79 CBX pipes I have. Was this warning stamped on the new replacements from Honda back in the day?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: NOS 1979 CBX exhaust Identification...

Post by EMS »

Yes. It is the "EPA" stamp and had to be on the exhausts after 1983 or 84 or so. Someone may know the exact year.

martini

Post by martini »

Hmm...I also have an exhaust (European model) bought back in the 90s from Honda dealer to my '79 CBX but there are no text as on your exhaust. These was last one !
CBX1000 -79

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am not sure that this was bought in the 90s. It looks like the Sankei repop they made a few years ago. These had a designation after the HM422, which I think was the ED. Someone else who has one of these may be able to confirm this.

jnnngs
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jnnngs »

Hi,

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this on another set of exhausts that were for sale.

Originally, the ED bikes (European Direct sales) had a different exhaust on them to all other markets (different part number), no idea why that would be the case. I know a couple of people who have ED bikes, and their exhausts are stamped HM422ED - and they believe them to be original.

But, as said above the first batch of "Sankei Replica" exhausts were also stamped HM422ED, which could be as a result of using an ED bike exhaust as a pattern?

So, not sure either way, but the exhausts mentioned above may well be original ED market exhausts.

Paul.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”