Delkevic Exhaust System Install

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Delkevic Exhaust System Install

Post by ezridermn »

I'm in the process of installing a Delkevic exhaust system on my 82 CBX Prolink. I have the right side on the bike with the two outside pipes just barely attached to the studs. I have a question about installing the center down tube. I put the gasket on the bottom of the down tube and then pushed it in to the collector with some force but the pipe remains about 1.5 inches further out at the top than the other two downtubes.

Before I get too aggressive with it I thought I would check and see how other people fitted the center down tube when they installed the Delkevic exhaust system. Should I take a rubber mallet to it and just drive it in? Or is there some other technique I should use?

Thanks in advance for the help!
1982 Honda CBX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Delkevic Exhaust System Install

Post by daves79x »

You are having the same trouble I had with the center pipes on the Delkevics. I think I ended up grinding part of the lower end of the center pipe off since it seemed to be hitting the inside of the collector before getting to the position it needed to be. I seem to remember that the center pipes did not seem to have quite the correct bend either. Took me forever to install. I'd also use your original split collars - theirs are pretty wimpy looking. Finned collars they supply are OK I guess, but I used the original of those too. Glad the system was on someone else's bike. Looks good once installed though. Sankei copies fit much better. I know, that's like saying 'you should have turned there'.

Dave

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

Thanks for your comments Dave. They are always helpful and appreciated!
1982 Honda CBX

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

I contacted Delkevic UK and posed this question to them. They provided the following answer. I thought I would post it here in case it might help someone else out who is installing a Delkevic system. I have not tried this yet so I can't say how well it may or may not have worked. I'll post again after I have the pipes installed.

"Ideally you need to be fitting the centre pipe, gasket and clamp to the collector with the two fixed pipes and offer the whole right side to the bike, but making certain that the centre pipe clamp is left loose. Attach all 3 downpipes loosely to the cylinder head and whilst supporting the main body of the exhaust, attach the rear mounting bracket loosely to the bike (It must be attached to the exhaust before attaching it to the bike!).

Begin to gradually tighten the pipe flanges as they attach to the cylinder head. Once satisfied with the alignment at the cylinder head, tighten the rear hanger bracket and then finally tighten the centre pipe clamp.

Repeat the same process for the left hand side."
1982 Honda CBX

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Nice of you to post that man, thanks.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

ezridermn
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by ezridermn »

OK I got the Delkevic exhaust system installed this morning. I mounted the right side up per the instructions in my prior post. Went pretty well and only took about 20 minutes. The left side took much longer because I couldn't get all three pipes to line up at the exhaust ports. In the end like Dave said I cut about 1/4" off the middle down tube where it goes into the collector. Then with some pushing, shoving and a little rubber mallet it I got it to go together. Took me about an hour since I was trying to be as gentle as possible.

Now that they are on I like how they look. Here are a couple of pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1982 Honda CBX

Lerouxseegers
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by Lerouxseegers »

These pipes look awesome

hondking

Post by hondking »

Have just fitted my new set and fitted perfect. I used Vaseline on the middle down pipe and it slid straight in

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just got the Delkevic for my '79Z. Parts look great and hardware also. One dumb question (as i can't find any tech install info on DK website), the center pipes have the sealing ring / gasket in a ziplok bag, but also 3 x Copper o-rings...... Are these supposed to be for each header at the cylinder head ? Only confused as they are in the bag with the center pipe sealing gasket ? Pic attached - sorry for likely stupid question guys !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

You are correct, the copper rings are for the exhaust ports.
Do a thorough check and make sure the old ones are removed. They are easily over-looked.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just a comment on the Delkevics - the pipes themselves are OK, fit is not that great on some, but the hardware that comes with them sucks. The split collars are quite thin and the aluminum finned collars don't look right at all. Most guys have those from their old systems and I'd certainly use the originals if you still have them. The last two I installed, I found the center pipes did not have quite the correct bend and it took forever to get them mounted.

Dave

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Thanks guys - and yep, the old crushed rings were still in the head but i didn't see them which is why i couldn't get the new stuff started - Dumbass here ! SO... i only got the Right Bank on, but all fitted really well - surprising considering all the negative posts i've seen on the CBX Delkevics. I Certainly don't see any issue with the split collars or finned clamps on the set i received - guarantee its going to look better than the rotted and patched original 1979 set that is currently on the bike !! Will see how the Left bank goes tomorrow. Thanks all as always for the feedback and help...

PS - if anyone has an interest in the original HM 422 system i am removing, and like i said, it isn't in great condition at the 3-1 merge areas, LMK.

Kev

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

And PPS.... ezridermn your bike looks awesome :D :text-coolphotos:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm so glad it's all working out for you. Perhaps Delkevic has improved quality control. It's been 2-3 years since I've installed one.

Dave

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”