Exhaust removal 1981 Pro-Link

ClintsMotorcycles
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Exhaust removal 1981 Pro-Link

Post by ClintsMotorcycles »

Hello,

I just bought a pipe-master 6 into 6 exhaust system for my 1981 Pro-Link. But, I am having difficulty getting the stock exhaust system removed.

I have the service manual, but the only reference I found was in 5-3 where it says 'remove the exhaust system' with no further details provided.

Anyway, I removed the 12 nuts holding the header pipes to the cylinder head and the caps slid down as would be expected. Next I remove the bolt joining the cross over pipe underneath the engine, the bolt holding the muffler to the rear pegs and the bolt by the front lower down tube.

Those were the only nuts and bolts I could see; are there any that I missed?

I can wiggle the mufflers but nothing comes free; including the header pipes that go to the cylinder head.

What I am I missing and do I need to gently tap anything with a rubber mallet someplace?

Thanks

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Exhaust removal 1981 Pro-Link

Post by daves79x »

I don't know which muffler bolt is by the 'front lower downtube'? There are two rear bolts for each muffler on the footplates. The split collars may still be wedged in the head. The whole system will need lowered at once - you need a hand for that. Only then can the halves be separated.

Dave

ClintsMotorcycles

Post by ClintsMotorcycles »

Thanks for the reply. I got it off. The cross over tube underneath the engine was pinched / rusted / frozen and it required some nudging with a rubber mallet and a piece of soft wood to free it up. Then, the whole system just about fell off. I was just being cautious to not break anything.

The bolt that I was referring to is on the lower right front frame tube, it is well hidden. I think it took at 12MM socket. There was no bolt like that on the left front frame downtube.

I am going to mount the 6 into 6 pipes next week when a new set of head pipe gaskets arrive. I have another CBX-1000, a 1982 model with a Kerker 6 into 2 setup. It sounds really good and it will be interesting to see the difference in performance between the 2 bikes.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

At least it is off.
Still curious as to the bolt by the front lower down tube.
Can you have a look at this schematic and point out the area where the bolt was?
Just wondering if it was a stock exhaust?

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... d5/muffler

Macmenace

Post by Macmenace »

Success is sweet. And cost effective. Glad you’re exhaust came apart. Anything that breaks is so hard to find replacement with most cycles. I keep 2 large cans of PB Blaster on hand and keep some in a small squeeze bottle to get it in tight spaces. I have been accumulating some parts. My front and rear calipers froze and front master may give me a problems. Key for me is soaking it an be patient. I have had a heli coil kit since the 70s and used it once on a Sportster oil plug. What a S/B! Hopefully we will see what she sounds like.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I didn't remember that the '81 had a crossover pipe.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”