New Exhaust Experience and Comparison

Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

New Exhaust Experience and Comparison

Post by Want2ride »

I recently replaced my exhaust system on my '79 CBX. At some point the original system got replaced with the later model by a previous owner. The old system was a HMMA2 A with cross connecting tube so it's from 81-82 model. It had some surface rust and some dings, so I wanted to replace it eventually. After seeing some price increases recently, I decided it was time before it got more expensive. I compared DSS and CMSNL, and the CMSNL was quite a bit cheaper (as many people know these are thought to be the same system). The system arrived amazingly in 4 days from The Netherlands to Oregon in the USA (and with free shipping).
Installing it was not without some fitment challenges but not too terrible. The number 2 and 5 pipes had to be swapped from the delivered configuration and some minor fitment tweaking was done. The numbers on the pipes are not agreement with the CBX numbering layout, but that obvious when you hold it up to the bike.
I rode the bike only about 10 miles so far, but it feels more powerful and hint more sound. That could easily be my brain playing tricks on me to justify the money and time spent. Does anyone know if there's any reason a reproduction old style exhaust would give more flow than the HMMA2 system? The lack of the cross pipe is the only outward sign of differences between the systems.
Anyway overall, my initial impression on the system is very positive and a good addition to the bike.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: New Exhaust Experience and Comparison

Post by EMS »

We should assume that none of the repro systems have the same internals as the original. The original Honda HM422 and HM469 exhausts were different inside, for example. I just can't see that any repop manufacturer would bother making two different versions. Same for the Prolink exhaust repro. If I had to make a guess, I would say all the CBX repro systems have the same internals, whatever they are.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Recently fitted a spanking new set of Delkevic exhausts to a friend's CBX1000Z after having heard much about them.
Was really very impressed as the set came with new alloy finned collars to secure the header pipes to the cyl. head, new half-round header pipe flange securing collars, 6x new exhaust port sealing rings, even new heat shields, 2x new sealing gaskets and clamps to secure header pipes 2 & 5, and all nuts, bolts and washers needed to replace the exhaust assembly 'as new'. The only bolts we re-used were the two rear silencer mounting bolts and nuts.
No wrestling with a gorilla to get them on. Taking our time, being careful while enjoying the process, took less than an hour.
IMHO a very worthy replacement for OEM and very good value for money. He paid around AU$1,800 delivered to his door here in AUS.

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

How do they sound?
Similar to stock?

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Yes, almost indistinguishable. No cross over pipe tho'.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

I've installed several sets of Delkevics and are generally a good reproduction but, not without their faults.
The clamp they supply for the #2 and #5 pipes and not Left and Right but, only both the same, So the anti-rotational tab works correctly on one but not the other.
Additionally, they don't supply or offer the woven (or alternative) "gasket protector" for the heat shields at the rear clamp. If you don't have the stock part to replace it or make something yourself, you'll be fitting metal-to-metal and probably loose as well.
Otherwise, they fit good and sound as stock. No cross-over pipe.
Made in China, shipped from Colorado for US customers.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

My experience with Delkevic is not too good. Had several sets where the cans looked lousy. The surface was odd, almost like it was not rolled smoothly but formed from flat pieces.
herdygerdy » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:31 am
Yes, almost indistinguishable. No cross over pipe tho'.
The "Z" exhaust is not supposed to have a crossover.

Return to “EXHAUSTS: What works and fits...and what doesn't.”