Alternator Case Painting

Patriotprop
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Alternator Case Painting

Post by Patriotprop »

Need some advise.

I stripped the guts out of he alternator case. Put the case in the ultrasonic cleaner.

When I took the case out of the cleaner it looked like it had heavy black grease smeared all over, and it seemed to be spiderwebed on the inside of the case.

I wiped it with thinner and nothing came off.

Then I glass beaded it and he case seemed to come clean, but the small defects in the surface still hold black. I wiped it with clean rag and lacquer thinner. Nothing came off onto rag

Drying now. Anybody else experienced this ?

FalldownPhil
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Alternator Case Painting

Post by FalldownPhil »

Magnesium cover :-(
When you are up to your ass in alligators it is sometimes difficult
to remember that your objective was to drain the swamp !!

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

You can polish it, but then you have to clearcoat it right away. Magnesium oxidizes rather quick. Turns blackish-gray. I would paint it. Don't forget to use a primer. Alternative is, to find a cover from a 1980-82 and polish it. They are aluminum.

asacuta
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by asacuta »

I polished mine, put it on a paper cup as a stand, and sprayed clearcoat to the point of runoff. That was the only way I could get a nice smooth finish.
Al

Patriotprop
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Patriotprop »

I glass beaded until it looked clean and uniform in color. Then I bought a single stage urethane paint with a catalyst. I had the color match at the paint shop, it is close but not dead on. The paint shop sells the paint and then loads it into a spray can that has the catalyst in the can. You pop the catalyst container into he can and shake. We will see how it holds.

Now my question.

Which way does the seal sit. With the lip towards the alternator or towards the engine.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”