Back to the Blinkers, not flashing certain conditions (Fixed

RJ CB650
Power Poster
Power Poster

Back to the Blinkers, not flashing certain conditions (Fixed

Post by RJ CB650 »

Found issue. As basic as you can get. I pulled relay out last year, and hooked up I thought correct new relay. Wasn't working so THOUGHT I had backwards (Grey and the green/white) so I actually reversed them fixing the problem. When I put it on the first time, I am guessing was still some corrosion/loose etc which is why test didn't work. After reversing the wires, the fact it worked at stop had me fooled into thinking it was correct.

So the 411. I opened my mouth earlier saying I should have it fast fixed but now I am getting stumped. Usually I am good with electrical... Tomorrow going to look at voltage in detail with a separate meter. I have an Ammeter and Voltmeter installed into bike and nothing seemed abnormal during my first runs on that end. Coles notes first, detailed situation below that. Putting it out here just in case it is something somebody else experienced and has some tricky cause.

1. New flasher relay
2. Charging system seems operating properly
3. Only will flash in lower voltage situations

So in sequence of events:

Last year before riding season was over, I took a nice long highway ride. On the way back, light stopped flashing. The correct corresponding one in front did and does go out when switched. No response rear. Since it was almost over, I decided to figure and fix while everything was snowed in. From getting it running last year, I remember it had an H-D relay, and felt/looked pretty junky. I went to Honda and got a brand new one. Not the same as original, but was listed at the OEM replacement part.

Did the work getting bikes all serviced over past couple weeks and ready to go. At this point, I must make note. It needed new battery last year. I got a maint. free lead core battery. With stuff mentioned elsewhere, I never got it taken out or put a tender on it. Battery was stone dead (yay clocks...) and after being on a charger for a while, took a charge. Seems to be without any issues but will check volts again tomorrow.

So onto the first rides of the year. Before getting it started, did my electrical and lights checked. Signals flashed and all other instrumentation checked okay. Get bike started, adjusted, chain re-serviced, etc. etc. etc.

Engine a bit cool and weather cold so RPMs being kept down. I pull out, start to ride, hit the signal to turn onto main street by my place, thought it delayed but is flashing, flick it off and on a couple times both left and right, works fine. I keep going.

So now riding again, I make next turn, not working. Trial and error, only was working when brake was on and idle! I thought something got bumped in connected or a poor ground. I thought it was having to ground through brake light or something wierd indirectly. But is definitely related to system generation/draw. I took the relay off my other bike, didn't work at all. New relay operated normally on it. However there is a quick buzz before it engages. Hope it isn't damaged... Old relays are 12v and new one is listed 12.8v leading me to thing is something voltage related (To be tested)

My thoughts:
1. Double/triple verify grounding
2. A voltage issue.
3. Something weird and abstract and indirectly the cause.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”