Alternator Assembly

Ken Gluckman
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Alternator Assembly

Post by Ken Gluckman »

I just pulled the alternator on my 1979 to replace the oil seal. The alternator worked fine, except for a bit of oil dripping out at the end of each ride.

To my surprise, when I got it out, there was no lock nut or washer holding the driven plate ("Coupling Plate B" in the manual) on. But it all seemed to work fine. However, I can't get the rotor out to reach the seal. Before I damage something, I want to ask for help.

I assume that the driven plate is splined to the Rotor Shaft and so if I carefully tap on the shaft, it will be released from the driven plate and then I can get to the seal -- is this correct? If not, what should I do?

Also, I assume I should install a nut and washer on the shaft -- or is there some reason to leave these parts out (their omission didn't seem to hurt!)?

Thanks.

Ken Gluckman

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Ken, I have sent you a reply to the PM you sent me but now that I see your original post, I have some other thoughts. What I read is that there is no nut and washer on the end of the rotor shaft holding the driven plate on. The first thing that comes to mind is: how in the world did the rotor shaft turn with no compression of the plate to the shaft. Since it was (I assume) then the pressure from the spring must have been pressing the driven plate against the shaft hard enough to turn it. Nevertheless, the shaft should just fall through the inner bearing and out. If it doesn't, then just tap it with a wood block (to prevent peening the threads) to force it through. It is possible someone locktit'd it but it is not splined or pressed on. And, yes, you should replace the locknut and washer when you re-assemble it all. As before, let me know how it goes so I can file it away. :wink:

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

No Nuts

Post by Dave Ditner »

All that is on the shaft under the coupling plate is an O ring in a groove on the shaft to prevent engine oil from migrating into the alternator. I can't see either how the coupling drove the shaft without the nut unless a) it spun on the shaft until it galled it and the two pieces stuck (didn't want to say WELD) themselves together, or 2) somebody put them together with locktite. If it doesn't seem to want to come apart easily, try some heat before getting drastic.[/b]
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Ken Gluckman

Post by Ken Gluckman »

I finally got it apart. It took a gear puller to get the plate off, but it wasn't too hard once I had the right tool to use. The only thing keeping it from spinning appeared to be the deteriorated o-ring (it was just particles). However, once I got the plate off, I couldn't get the shaft to go through the housing. It seemed like it was held in by something, but I couldn't see what. Looking at the parts diagrams, it should just slip out through the bearing -- but it didn't and couldn't even be gently persuaded to do so.

I finally gave up and just pulled out the seal and replaced it and the o-ring.

I put everything back together (adding a nut and washer this time) and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Ken

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”