Spark units

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Spark units

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Welcome to the site, Tony.
Looks like a "how-to" that even this inmate could follow.
Thanks for this and looking forward to the finished tuturial.

CopperCollar
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CopperCollar »

Awesome Tony.

Can't wait to see your final write up.

Mike
When given the choice between being right or being kind; choose kindness. W. Dyer

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Many thanks Steve and Mike.

I know I am very much a newbie on this particular CBX site, but have resided over at CBX World for many years.

I hope this is OK to propose (esp. given my 'newbie' status on this site) but FYI, am considering offering a turn key 'plug and play' complete replacement kit for sale which would include 3x new Procom ignitors for the CBX-Z, under battery box mounting bracket, wiring harness to connect to the original wiring loom connectors and optional ignition coil relay & wiring to provide 12V direct to ignition coils via a relay. Kit would come with clear installation instructions and links to installation videos.

No pricing yet, but let me know here or PM me if interested.

Cheers...Tony 8)

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Tony, you are most welcome here and I for one would definitely appreciate it if you did include this gang. Thanks a bunch for contributing this great content.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Tony: I am pretty sure there are quite a few people who would welcome you offering a kit. After posting the article about the wiring, I received several requests for a harness to adapt the later Prolink igniters. I just don't have the time to make them. One drawback may be the cost of new igniters. This could make the complete package rather expensive. The original idea was to convert to the later, improved CBX igniters as found on the 81/82 and some F models.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Hi EMS,
Thanks for your reply.
Ack your point re cost of ignitors possibly being prohibitive for some. Being able to integrate the Prolink OKI units could be an inexpensive way to go.
That said, even those are now 'getting on' in years, with an '82 model bike now 32 yrs old.
To keep it simple, the harness I am considering would locate them back in OEM position under the battery box. Thinking of offering these alternatives.

Option a) New Procom Ignitors, mounting plate, wiring harness and integrated ignition coil relay.
Option b) As above, but without ignition coil relay.
Option c) wiring harness and mounting plate only (ie; you source and provide your own ignitors).

Could someone please measure the size of the OEM Prolink ignitors for me so I can compare them to the size of the Procom units? Need size of the box, in particular the width, and the length from box to 6 positon electrical connector.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers...Tony

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Tony:

The Prolink ignitors are three individual units. If put together, side by side, they measure a total of 95mm wide. The length of the harness from the end of the box to the very end of the connector is 165mm.

Bob Buehler
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Bob Buehler »

Thanks this was very helpful.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Digging this old thread . I have a barebone 82 with spark units and coils . I don’t have rectifiers since I have a denso Kawasaki generator installed. No wiring yet. Original wiring is garbage. Had some wires melting and lids of electrical tape that created a big goopy mess. I am looking for wiring set or some document that would allow me to put ignition together.side question, what do those tubes do that are installed on three of wires onto ignition coil side ?

Thanks
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

EMS wrote:
Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:18 am
Tony: I am pretty sure there are quite a few people who would welcome you offering a kit. After posting the article about the wiring, I received several requests for a harness to adapt the later Prolink igniters. I just don't have the time to make them. One drawback may be the cost of new igniters. This could make the complete package rather expensive. The original idea was to convert to the later, improved CBX igniters as found on the 81/82 and some F models.
I have been asked by a friend to make two pigtails for his 79 and 80 to convert to the Prolink igniters. I will attack this project this week.
Is anybody else interested in getting one, I will get more material. Shoot me an e-mail to
mike.simon70@yahoo.com
This will be the pigtail only. You will have to source the igniters separately yourself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

That's great Mike. Let me know if you need the dimensions for the Procom igniter mounting plate. (I'm not sure the Procoms can be mounted onto the original.) I've sent you an email separately.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Unfortunately, my post is no longer here completely. I had several pictures including a wiring diagram that I put together. All was lost and has not been restored after the revision of the site. I am using my records that I have on file.
This is not for the Procom igniters but for the stock Prolink igniters - I don't know if there is a difference.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

No difference between Prolink and Procom igniter wiring, so your very nicely made pig tails will fit either. Nice job EMS!

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

type-b_1.jpg
You can take things a bit further now with Multi-Spark units.
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=12007
type-b_2.jpg
kyoutuu_01.jpg
kyoutuu_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

itsacbx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by itsacbx »

Hiya All,
Tony from Sydney is supplying me with a couple of his fancy dancy 12v conversion harnesses, but Im struggling to build a couple of the harnesses to install later OKI's into my 79.
Ive purchased the correct connector blocks but cant make any sense of one part of the instructions shown on the initial post of this subject, as follows:

Let’s start with the blue and white wires, 6-pole connector;
"OKI No1 blue and white wires connect to the pink wires in the original connector
OKI No2 blue and white wires connect to the yellow wires in the original connector
OKI No3 blue and white wires connect to the blue wires in the original connector
Make sure the white wires connect to the wires in the connector with the small white tubes."

I understand the first three lines and have that sorted out..
My question relates to this piece of the instructions, specifically: These three wires [the blue and white from the OKI's] account of three of the pins in the connector block. Where do the other three pins receive wire from?
Further, what is meant by "make sure the white wires connect to the wires in the connector with the small white tubes? This I dont understand Im afraid....
Help please.
Al

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”