85mph Speedo Replacement

panteradave
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

85mph Speedo Replacement

Post by panteradave »

Is it possible to replace an 85mph speedometer (on an '82) with an earlier 150mph version? Does a 150 speedo require some sort of drive speed corrector in order to show the proper speed or are the speedo internals preadjusted from the factory?

Thanks,

Newbie Dave
Dave Bell

1982 CBX
2000 BMW K1200LT

1972 Detomaso Pantera GTS
2005 Acura NSX
2008 Roush F-150

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: 85mph Speedo Replacement

Post by daves79x »

The 150 will bolt right on, but you lose your rear shock low pressure warning light - if you knew you had one. Now the problem is finding a good 150 that matches your degree of fade.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

And, at a price less than a mortgage!
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

smrcbx
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by smrcbx »

Is it possible to turn an 85mph speedo into a 150mph one. I've got a good working 85mph speedo which i would like to refurb and turn into a 150mph one using replacement decals, but the needle will obviously read incorrectly too high a speed. Is it possible to get anything to change the gear ratio inside the clocks or is it simply a case of getting my hands on a scrap/damaged 150mph clock and using that as a donor. I did read that a guy at randakks, pete, did a conversion on the 85mph to turn them into one to read 150mph. Don't know if this is still the case. I'd like to do it myself is possible

Thanks,
Shaun

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”