82 CBX ON THE BLINK

SPLINTER

82 CBX ON THE BLINK

Post by SPLINTER »

DAVE, IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ONE OF THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE GUYS ON THE WEB. MAYBE YOU CAN HELP ME DETERMINE THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM I'M HAVING ON MY 82' CBX.

ALL OF A SUDDEN I NOTICED AFTER PRESSING THE FRONT BRAKE, THE BIKE WOULD SHUT DOWN FOR ABOUT HALF OF A SECOND AND COME BACK ON.

I FIGURED IT WAS JUST A FLUKE. THEN IT STARTED HAPPENING MORE OFTEN. JUST THE OTHER KNIGHT I CAME TO A STOP LIGHT AND DEPRESSED THE BRAKE, AND IT DIED. EVERYTHING JUST WENT OUT.

NO LIGHTS, NO SIGNS OF POWER ANYWHERE. TURNED THE KEY BACK AND FORTH, AND NOTHING. JUST DEAD. TOTAL BLACK-OUT. I PUSHED IT A WAYS AND WITH THE KEY IN RUN POSITION IT PUSH STARTED. I'M JUST AT A COMPLETE LOSS. WHAT CAN I LOOK FOR? WHAT CAN I DO.

I HOPE YOU CAN HELP.

THANKS, LESLIE lbianchi1@yahoo.com

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Leslie,

I'm not Dave but several have read your post with no replies, so I thought I'd ask a couple of questions:

1) Is your '82 still having problems?

2) If so, can you duplicate the problem by pressing the front brake? By this I mean, - key on - NOT started - headlight 'on' - press front brake - what happens?

Obviously, it is an electrical problem of some sort and diagnostics should be on a step-by-step basis.

I'd take a look at your main ignition switch. Do you have a voltmeter to check a few things?

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

And The Answer Isssssssss

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

heck if i know and we want to help.....

so i posted your problem to the brewer cbx line which is monitored by alot of the cbx top wrenches i know

let us know how all this turns out

mike

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Front Brake Broke It!!!

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

The first thing I would do is unplug the wires from the front brake switch

(next to the front brake resouvior). This should make the bike quit

stopping on you. Second, I would look for a short to ground in the wires

from the switch to the brake light. Get a wiring diagram and look at the

wires, notice the colors and then check the harness. There is a short

between the switch and the light.

Regards, Tom

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”