Headlight Bulb Wattage

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Headlight Bulb Wattage

Post by Jim-Jim »

In a CBX link, I read that someone had installed a 100/130 watt bulb and it only lasted 20 minutes but did not say why it burned out so quickly. Same owner stated that they put in a 90/100 watt and it is still going strong w/o failure. What I would like to know is - why? Why did the higher wattage bulb burn out so quickly?

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this? I would think that the higher wattage light would be very desireable but not if it burns out in 20 minutes.

Any thoughts? :?: :?:

E LEE

Bulbs

Post by E LEE »

I've heard the same about the big watt bulbs, specially the standard quartz. I also hear, have to watch these bulbs in the 81-82 because they are so hot will melt things.

Lastly I've heard the way to go is the new "Blue" type bulbs. They draw less power, burn cooler, last longer in higher watt, better light spectrum and totally cool. 8)

Later,

Ed Lee

Tom Whaley
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

RE: Bulbs

Post by Tom Whaley »

I have tried a few different high output headlight bulbs with mixed results. The first one was a 90/100 halogen and it didn't live very long. The next one was 100/130 halogen and it got so hot it actually melted the solder in the base of it and quit working. The actual bulb was okay. The last one I tried had a yellow cover over the bulb so it shined yellow to match my bike. I put on 2000 or so miles on it (Morro Bay and back in 1998) and it exploded inside and turned to dust. All three of these were used when I had my Sabre fairing on. I now use a high output Xeon ( I don't remember the wattage) with a standard headlight and have had no problems as yet. I did find that the stock wiring really isn't heavy enough to run the high output bulbs all that well. When I had the fairing on I use relays to supply the current for the headlight. The high output bulbs are hard on the reflectors on the late model CBX's.
Tom Whaley

"aka" The Rocketman

Take care of your CBX's and each other.

Because a club is suppose to be fun. "TIM WARE"

900f2
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by 900f2 »

I use a 55/100 in my 81..with no problems..until (after a couple years) the low beam burnt out and I used my high beam riding around town at slow speed... it seems that things do get quite hot at slow speed...it melted the pig tail and an inch or two of the wiring. if your choose a higher wattage bulb I suggest only using it at highway speeds

Don
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Don »

I agree that the wiring is the problem with running higher wattage bulbs - You'd be surprised if you measured the voltage available at the lamp with even the stock bulb - The OEM wiring isn't really adequate for even the OEM Stanley lamp.

You could connect a fused a 10 gauge wire directly to the battery and run it up into the headlamp shell to power the low beam. A relay could be used for the high beam, triggered by the OEM high beam wiring. Make sure that both the low and high beams are getting their power from the new fused 10 gauge wire. Ground the headlamp negative with a new 10 gauge wire as well - Should solve all your problems with a higher wattage bulb.

Don

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Headlight bilbs

Post by Passx »

Gentlemen, I have been using a 80/130 watt bulb (the same one) in my 76 GL for about 25 years now, the only problem I have had with it and it's a good one is that I've replaced the start switch gear 4 times in that period. All the voltage is run through the starter rocker and burns the contacts out, I usually run it on high beam all the time. I currently repainting & rechroming things and plan on installing relays like Tom W. said to take the load off the switch. Both my 80 & 81 X's have the 55/100 watt Xenon bulbs in them but I must say that the blue light makes it more difficult for me to see on low beam but people see you because it's different and hi beam is fine. My .02 worth

Steve P. #5220

Passx
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Headlight bilbs

Post by Passx »

Gentlemen, I have been using a 80/130 watt bulb (the same one) in my 76 GL for about 25 years now, the only problem I have had with it and it's a good one is that I've replaced the start switch gear 4 times in that period. All the voltage is run through the starter rocker and burns the contacts out, I usually run it on high beam all the time. I currently repainting & rechroming things and plan on installing relays like Tom W. said to take the load off the switch. Both my 80 & 81 X's have the 55/100 watt Xenon bulbs in them but I must say that the blue light makes it more difficult for me to see on low beam but people see you because it's different and hi beam is fine. My .02 worth

Steve P. #5220

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”