recent problem w/ blinkers & brake light

englon
New Member & Happy To Be Here

recent problem w/ blinkers & brake light

Post by englon »

Hi,

When I turn the power on, my back blinkers don't light, but everything else is on. When I activate the turn signal, that sde blinker in the front goes off. When I apply the brakes, the brake light does not brighten. This happens also when the bike is running. I have checked the fuses and all the bulbs. Any ideas..........

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Electrical Gremlins

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

Brake light could be several things. Have you tried both activating the front break and rear brake? If it does not light with either you should check

On the front brake res, under it, there is a small switch, it should have the wires from the harness plugged into it.

On the rear brake, just behind the side plate is the brake activation switch. When you step on the pedal, it pulls it (the switch) to make the circuit. Try pulling it a little further. if it causes the light to light, remove the side cover and adjust the switch.

If none of this works, post again and we will give some more ideas.

Cheers, Tom

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Oops I missed a question

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

The rear turn signals do not light up with just the key on. Only the front turn signals are "running lights". If when you activate a turn signal and the light either stays on or goes off (not blinking) it is most likely the flasher located under the seat to the rear of the battery.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Tom
Last edited by Tom Neimeyer on Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

acadia81

turn signal problem

Post by acadia81 »

I was just about to ask about a similar turn signal problem. I thought about the turn signal relay, but I thought the light would just stay on and not flash. Now my question is does the relay have to come from Honda or is the an aftermarket or generic unit that would work. Thanks.

Tom Neimeyer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Aftermarket O.K.

Post by Tom Neimeyer »

I think you can use any 12 volt flasher unit.

acadia81

Post by acadia81 »

Englon, I might have an answer to your problem. It's after midnight and I just spent 3 hours checking wires. I had the same problem, no turn signals, no brake light AND no horn.

First check the fuses just below the ignition switch. The third fuse from the left powers the brake light, signal and horn. If this fuse is good then check the white with green stripe wire on the backside of the fuse block.

This wire routes power to the handlebar switches.

I had to take the fairing off to get to the connector box behind the headlight. I found a corroded connection in the 3 wire plug at the white/green wire. Its a white connector plug with just 3 wires. I just cleaned the connection and the back of the fuse block and everything works. Hope this helps. Good luck.

tchrones

Post by tchrones »

For the rear turn signals, be sure the ground wires are plugged in.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

corrosion...

Post by Mike Nixon »

Corrosion is becoming a real bugaboo on these old bikes now, and not just on ones that live in humid or coastal climes. Recently, I traced a problem involving my brake light flickering when the turnsignals were turned on to the ground wire at the tailight having too much resistance. The factory crimps the connectors on, of course, and over time, they will build resistance and thus carry less current. When a ground wire does that, the circuit in question will "hunt" for an alternate ground, through the wiring of a nearby component. That's called a floating ground, and it is most common with circuits that have less than the best grounds to begin with, such as with fairings. My tailight's ground (green) wire had 1/2 Ohm resistance across just 9" of wire. A newly made ground wire (which had neglible resistance on the same meter) fixed the problem. :)

sixofsix
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Rear Brake Lights not coming on, etc.

Post by sixofsix »

Here's is another common problem on CBX's...Remove the fuse cover, turn the fuses in the holders. Do the bad circuits get better? Often the fuse holders get corrosion and prevent the flow of electricity. Try that. If it is the problem, try brand new fuses and use scotch brite on the fuse holders. it could be a simple cure. Also check the rear turn signal holders, sometimes the gaskets for the signals have gone hard, and no longer seal out moisture. If you see any corrosion in the bulb holders you will have to remove the bulb holder assemblies and get rid of it.

Good Luck,

Tony

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”