Charging issues

Arundel2
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Re: Charging issues

Post by Arundel2 »

Yes were expecting better readings from cbx voltmeter.
Ran bike and took readings from the new battery. At 3000 rpm i had up to 13.85 volts.
At 1500 rpm i had 13.35 volts.
Much happier now with results. will purchase Dielectric grease for connectors; LED bulbs for headlight etc.
Readings from voltmeter in previous years if i remember correctly were slightly higher than those i have now; perhaps there was an overcharging issue back then that contributed to my woes ??
Will ride this weekend for a larger distance and see how bike performs and report back on results.
Cheers Mike

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Be certain to clean those contacts good. Pull them apart and use some very fine sand paper or similar on both the blade and the female part of the couplings. You should see a voltage in the 14 range at the battery at 3000. 13.85 will keep you on the road. However, there is some resistance somewhere.
And, while the Honda meter is not known for its precision, low readings there are typically caused by resistance at the various couplings leading to it.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Arundel2

Post by Arundel2 »

Did 200 ks on weekend and did not miss a beat.
Voltmeter readiind low as indicated before,but good at battery.
I remember reading that the voltmeter from new had been placed in the wrong position in the wiring loom??
Thanks everyone for your imput.
Also going to put LED bulbs all round as advised.
Cheers Mike
Christchurch New Zealand

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”