Electrical Issues - Poor running - Bad Ground(s)?

Complete
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Electrical Issues - Poor running - Bad Ground(s)?

Post by Complete »

Hi Guys,

I made an introductory post about a month ago and I haven’t been able to find the root cause of the CBX running weird and missing. I’ve had somewhat random cylinders be completely cold when the engine is running and now without changing a thing the bike is running again on all 6.

It is still a bit stumbly, lots of fuel out the tailpipes and its cold blooded.

I’ve noticed the volt meter reads ~10v but the battery reads 13.5 when the key is on bike not running.

With the bike running, my multimeter just jumps around all over the place and wont read a voltage…

What gives??

Can anyone point me to locations for all of the grounds on an ‘81? I better start there…

Complete

Re: Electrical Issues - Poor running - Bad Ground(s)?

Post by Complete »

Photo of the voltage rectifier plugs. Looks like they are in desperate need of cleaning and dielectric grease
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

Get everything as clean as you can and recommend brushing in dielectric grease into every plug connection

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

That small red plug is a notorious culprit. We frequently make new ones using larger gauge wire and new connectors, including an inline ATC fuse. You should clean and inspect the entire wiring harness, including the keys with base and the rotary kill switch. The discrepancy at the voltmeter is typical.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”