Switchback Front Turn Signals

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Switchback Front Turn Signals

Post by JoeInTUS »

In order to increase daytime visibility (and for the fun of farkling), I converted my front turn signals to switchback LEDs that are white in running light mode and amber in turn signal mode. I used these LEDs:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... -car/1915/

4into1 sells clear turn signal lenses for the ProLink. The screw hole posts on the replacement lenses are slightly different than stock and require 30mm long screws instead of the 25mm screws that are stock. I bought some from McMaster-Carr. Here are the lenses installed.
Lights Off Crop.jpg
In running light mode compared to amber. Not a drastic difference but definitely more visible.
Side by Side Crop.jpg
In turn signal mode.
Turn Signal On Crop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Re: Switchback Front Turn Signals

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Thanks, Joe. I like that. Goes along with my installing front turn signals on the back of my 82 so that I now have rear running lights (amber) to augment the lonely tail light. (Replaced the stock rear lights.) Just a bit more visibility. Anything helps.

Question, Joe: Are these a straight forward plug-and-play? That is, don't need anything to work with the flasher?
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

These require a flasher designed for LEDs to prevent hyper-flashing. I had previously converted to LED turn signals so the correct flasher was already installed.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

Larry Zimmer

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Ah -- thanks, Joe.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Update: Joe and I rode home last night in the dark, and he came up behind me and then passed me, so I got a good look at the effect of these switchback bulbs, in combination with these clear front turn signal lenses:

VERY VISIBLE

His bike looked like an F-16 with its landing lights on in my rear-view mirror, and after he passed me, I could see that they functioned like cornering lights - these things fling a lot of good white light that fills in the area to the sides. I definitely want these for my own Prolink.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”