need help with indicator seals and trim

robertgood
New Member & Happy To Be Here

need help with indicator seals and trim

Post by robertgood »

Hi Guys
does anyone know where i can get replacement indicatorseals and chrome trims for a 1979 twin shock, also can anyone tell me if a prolink main stand will fit a twinshock? thanks in advance.

Robert

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: need help with indicator seals and trim

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

The pics are missing but there is still some pertinent info.
Says the Prolink won't fit with out some alterations.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4763&p=32583&hilit ... and#p32583

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

If you're referring to the foam rubber seal on the inside of the instrument surround/mounting rings that have 2 square holes and 1 round one............
I make my own from adhesive backed closed cell foam rubber.
I "shave off" the original foam and use that as a template and cut to shape with scissors and an Exacto knife. The foam I get from an industrial supply company, 1/16" thick.
The stainless steel rings, you'll have to locate, used.

robertgood

Post by robertgood »

Hi guys thanks for the help, but the seal and chrome trim i need are for the indicators themselves they go between the lenze and indicator black plastic body, maybe they are different on US bikes but all UK bikes have them, never thought it would be so hard to get a centre stand i think it would be easier to get one made, also never thought restoring a cbx would be so stressfull trying to source parts. is there much alterations needed to make a prolink stand fit a twinshock, from what i can see from any pictures in the internet they look the same.
thanks again for your help.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

robertgood wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:35 pm
Hi guys thanks for the help, but the seal and chrome trim i need are for the indicators themselves they go between the lenze and indicator black plastic body, maybe they are different on US bikes but all UK bikes have them, never thought it would be so hard to get a centre stand i think it would be easier to get one made, also never thought restoring a cbx would be so stressfull trying to source parts. is there much alterations needed to make a prolink stand fit a twinshock, from what i can see from any pictures in the internet they look the same.
thanks again for your help.
For those, I'd snap them in place and on the inside run a thin bead of either hot glue or clear silicone around them to seal.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The Pro-Link center stand just will not work on the early bikes. They are completely different. Yes, early stands have been gold for several years now. Just the way it is.

Dave

robertgood

Post by robertgood »

thanks for all your advice, i did manage to get the prolink to fit with a bit of hard work had to cut and lower the flat plates that stop the stand when it rests against the frame also had to rejig the spring but it works fine, thanks again for all the help, i am juas starting to restore my second twinshock and noticed the rear chrome grab rail has had a few repairs in its lifetime, just wont look right, does anyone know if these can be re-manufactured i supose a good metalworker could make a copy.
thanks
Robert.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I admire you patience in getting the center stand to work. Similar situation with the chrome grab rail - there are lots of them out there, as well as early center stands. The problem for many is the price of them. When you have complete bikes selling for $20-$30K USD and climbing, what do you think the cost of parts is going to do? This is fast becoming a serious financial commitment instead of just an average guy's hobby. Not saying that's good or bad, just the way it is.

I restore old BMWs also and the exact same thing is going on. 5 years ago, parts were plentiful and relatively cheap. Now you really must search to even find stuff, let alone worry about what the price is. Doing a full restoration on a CBX and a '55-'69 BMW is remarkably similar in cost. You need to figure $12-$20K, plus the cost of the bike, to do a high level restoration.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Contact Louis Mintrone about the grab rail. usedcbxparts@hotmail.com May be expensive. Also, shipping costs. However, when wanting or needing a part.........
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

robertgood

Post by robertgood »

thanks again guys, i will certainly try Louis for the grab rail if not i might try and source a good metalwork form or maybe a collage project for a student might be am option either way i will let you know.

thanks again
Robert

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

A day late and a dollar short, Al just bought my last two grabrails!
DE02BB92-C8E5-4176-B642-1949CF9C4B16.jpeg
7F0C09DA-1313-4AC4-8303-0C66C268E9D8.jpeg
A24A4A74-6A2E-4C43-B914-4C1F3D786A2D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”