Startup!!

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Startup!!

Post by CBX1000FAN »

NobleHops wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:22 pm
Brian Hudson is in Durban, he's a good guy. He might be willing to mail you a starter to swap in for yours. Let me try and raise him.
Thank you very much!! Regards!

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

ZAFJB wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:32 pm
I think you are chasing two problems not one:

1. Something is misaligned in the starter causing armature to touch. With added heat the the armature tightens up even more.

2. Starter clutch nor releasing or dragging.

If the starter is being dragged around by the clutch and there is friction from interference, that friction is heating above any heat coming from the engine, making it worse and worse.

I think the kick you are hear when you shut down the engine is related to the starter clutch too.
Thanks! I checked the armature - there are no touching or scraping marks on it at all. It may be the starter clutch (I surely do hope it is not as I hear that is a huge operation...). When the starter is taken out I can rotate the starter clutch (gear) with my finger, yet it has a kind of "soft" ratchet feel to it. How will I know it is the starter clutch for sure?

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

Yaknow, sometimes an engine will back up a skosh when it's shut off, and in this case that would push the starter clutch against the starter gear, and that could make sound for sure. In response to your temperature question on FB, the answer about "does it get hot" is a resounding "hell yes!". It gets REALLY hot in there, hot enough to evaporate the fuel in the flow bowls through the overflows.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CBX1000FAN »

Just a short report back. I eventually sorted the starter problem ... Started off with skimming the commutator on the lathe, made new brushes - converted those of a car's starter ( could not find any CBX brushes over here), fixed the positive loose brush holder and soldered 4 suspect "strips" on the commutator. Problem solved - bike starts each and every time! Thank you to each that responded to my request. Regards.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”