Problem with headlight / turn signals

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Problem with headlight / turn signals

Post by oldbikerdude »

82 Prolink.
I put in a LED headlight, brake lamps, and front and rear turn signals, as well as the flasher unit for the LED's reduced power requirements.
They seemed fine for a few weeks but then things started going haywire.
When I hit either turn switch, both signal dash lights and turn signals would flash, and the headlamp would flicker.
Sometimes there was no issue, everything worked properly, at speed and constant throttle both signal dash lights and turn signals front and rear would flicker, or stay on or off altogether.
Thinking my issue was a faulty flasher, I exchanged it with another(happened to have a spare), but the same thing happened.
I then removed all the LED lightbulbs and headlamp, put in the old flasher, headlamp and all the old turn signal bulbs.
Before I put the glass cover back on, I turned the key on and headlamp shone brightly. So I installed everything.

BUT, I still have an issue, now my headlamp is very faint, barely on. its getting about 7.5 volts (with tester),
When I hit left turn switch, the front right signal lamp comes on and stays on, and the left one flashes very faintly,
and likewise when I hit the right turn switch, the front left turn signal comes on and stays on, and right flashes faintly.
The rear signal lights work properly, only the front is the issue along with the headlamp.
When either signal switch is not on, both front turn signal lamps are on, which is good.

Electrical stuff is not my forte. Can any one guide me on troubleshooting this issue.

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Problem with headlight / turn signals

Post by JoeInTUS »

I was having similar weirdness on the last 82 I worked on and it was a poor ground connection to the fairing. Running a temporary ground to the stud where the fairing ground wire is attached is a quick way to check if that is the problem.

In my case I had powder coated the fairing frame causing a poor ground. Removing the powder coat from the area around the stud and the fairing frame to main frame mounting points fixed the issue.

If not that I would look at the left control switch assembly. Make sure the connections are clean and spray the internals with your preferred contact cleaner.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Agree with Joe - you have a bad ground somewhere. I've found a few in Pro-Link fairing wiring. Also in the connections that all fit into the fairing from the bar switches.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Agree -- likely a bad ground. I've seen similar problems with 4-wheelers. (Cars)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

oldbikerdude
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by oldbikerdude »

Just updating the post, thought I had done it already a while back.
It was a loose ground wire as many of you thought,
Guess the vibration loosened the nut and then lost it, then lights and signals went haywire.
Here's a few pics of the ground in question.
IMG_6947.jpg
IMG_6948.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”