Lithium battery for CBX

CBX1000FAN
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Lithium battery for CBX

Post by CBX1000FAN »

I opted for a new 12V Lithium motorcycle battery with 360 CCA, which is more than enough to start and run the CBX. The bike started with ease but I saw a small plume of smoke from the loom and switched off. The one connector was hot, so I traced the loom to the regulator, which also felt hot. What could be the issue? The Lithium is fully charged (reading 13.5V) and has its own cell management.... I measure 14.7 V across the pos and neg poles of the battery at 3500 rpm which is very much in spec for the battery. With the OEM battery everything stays cold. Any thoughts on this? Regards!

Want2ride
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Lithium battery for CBX

Post by Want2ride »

I'm not sure this is the same but I recently converted my diesel pusher motorhome to Li-Ion for the RV/house portion but left lead acid batteries in for the drivetrain. I was warned that even though the Li-Ion batteries had a built in battery management system, the alternator would see too little impedance and would cause an overcurrent load to the Cummins alternator. So to prevent that I put in a DC to DC charger, basically a small control box with the alternator output feeding in and battery charging feeding out. it's job was to provide 12 vdc but limit the available current in this case to a maximum of 30 amps to protect the alternator.

I don't know how much a CBX regulator can put out in amps but I'd bet its not a lot. Anyone know? Here's a small DC to DC charger that might be a candidate: https://www.tracopower.com/model/tmdc-40-4812

I have put a couple of Li-Ion batteries in my modern bikes and not run into this problem. But perhaps the CBX doesn't have current limiting capabilities like the modern bikes.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Nice little box,
I’m glad there are some smart people around here!

Thanks for the link.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:54 pm
Nice little box,
I’m glad there are some smart people around here!

Thanks for the link.
Ditto on that, Jeff. They've bailed my sorry butt out a few times.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Duffey Lake rd.
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Duffey Lake rd. »

Honda CBX 1979 Regulator/Rectifier - Lipo (lifepo4) battery
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... o4-battery

"Don’t do this.

The charging circuit is designed for the lead-acid battery.

The wires overheating are signs of too much current flowing - this will either cause the alternator to fail or the lipo battery to fail or worse catch fire."

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

I have ordered this regulator, will try it with a Lithium battery. Does anybody have experience with this ?

https://cognitomoto.com/products/ricks- ... 8864586867
https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/l/ ... -rectifier

derherr65
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by derherr65 »

[quote="Don’t do this. The charging circuit is designed for the lead-acid battery.[/quote]

The headlight circuit was designed for a 1980's halogen. HID, Projectors, and LEDs are are all better, when done correctly.
The turn signal circuit was designed for mechanical flasher. Solid state replacements are more reliable, accurate, and allow tungsten, mixed, or LED turn signals.
It's been 40 years. There are better alternatives. The OP is asking how to best integrate a preferred tech, not asking permission to do so on his vehicle.
1982 CBX chopper.
2016 Triumph Trophy SE

JohnK3
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by JohnK3 »

One poster with problems, one poster warning of dire possibilities when using Lithium batteries, one poster championing new technologies...
I installed LI batteries in my 16 Suzuki DR650 in Mar 2019, 91 BMW K75RT in June 2020 71 Honda CB750 in Jan 2021. All of the bikes crank faster with LI batteries, and hold a charge indefinitely. I've had no problems since installing them.
I'd like to put one in my 81 CBX, but am concerned by the original post.
Any more experiences with LI batteries in CBX's?

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”