Coil crapping out

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Coil crapping out

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Went for a ride with my son tonight and both bikes ran great. We stopped for some pics and on the way back mine started to run crappy....popping and farting at times and I could tell that at times I was down a cylinder or two. This has happened the last 3 times I've gone out and think it's a coil going bad when it gets warm...just guessing.
My question is what can I do to test the coils and is there a go to aftermarket replacement one, and or one to stay away from?
Forrest Miller :thumupp:

Honda CBX 1000- "A cosmic haymaker of a motorcycle" -Mr. Tadashi Kume

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Coil crapping out

Post by daves79x »

My bet is a spark unit is going bad - classic symptom. OK when cold, lose two cylinders when hot. Feel which two pipes are cooler when you stop and you'll know which unit is bad, but if it's an early model, doesn't matter, very hard to replace individual units. This failure is far mor common than a coil failure.

Dave

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Dave, thanks for the reply. Is there a way to test which item is faulty, I'd rather be able to isolate which unit is bad before firing the parts cannon at it...LOL :violence-uzi:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You are working on an early model, I think? If so, all three spark units are one assembly, and as I said, it's very hard to replace just one of the three. There are used stock ones out there or a couple of aftermarket ones. But see if you are indeed losing 2 cylinders by feeling which pipes are cooler after a ride where it's acted up. No test for the spark units otherwise.

Dave

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

Well....It was so nice here yesterday that we had to go for a ride and decided to go out until it starts running like crap then head back. We were out for at least 2 hours and it never missed a beat once.....quite satisfying actually, but I'm wondering why it would run like crap after 40 min one day then run like a charm the next time out. Maybe those original spark units heard I ordered some new ones and decided they better shape up...LOL

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

That's the way they go - work for a while, then quit. Heat has a lot to do with it.

Dave

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

As Dave said -- heat. Ever notice on the prolinks that the spark units are positioned, essentially, at the air intake for the carbs.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”