help ,part found in stator housing

morg56
New Member & Happy To Be Here

help ,part found in stator housing

Post by morg56 »

Hi ,I'm freshening up the look of my 79 .So i removed all the covers that I could to paint . When I took off the covers A and B over the stator/rotor I noticed a little round part that was just laying on the floor of my garage . It fits perfectly in the hole at the top of the cavity in the stator housing . any suggestions ? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: help ,part found in stator housing

Post by shiskowd »

I believe that is the oil metering orifice that sits in the end of the primary shaft that the driven clutch plate is attached. It is simply a press fit that you should be able re-insert. Controls the oil volume flowing into the clutch plates.
2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, that is correct. Tap it back in with a brass drift, after making sure the metering hole is clear and the interior of the primary shaft is clean.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

IMG_0786.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
I'd rather have found what you did than this:

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Ouch. I feel your pain Dave. Is the hole in the crankcase oil gallery repairable? And that orifice in the end of the primary shaft looks gummed up solid too.

morg56

Post by morg56 »

So just to be clear,that little round piece just goes back in that hole ? You talk about clutch shaft and oil volume ,also I found no oil in the stator housing. Just asking because I don't know . Thanks alot .

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Yes, in the end of the primary shaft. All oil sprayed into the alternator clutch cavity immediately drains through that large hole in the bottom directly to the sump. Good thing too, as a rather large amount of clutch debris gets carried to the sump. That is why it's important to remove the sump cover and check and clean it every so often.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Well, I'm going to give that hole the old JB weld treatment and see. I have the engine tilted now, so have good access to the outside and inside of the hole. There's no pressure there. Maybe make it a second crankcase vent?

Yes, the metering orifice is plugged solid. Have seen this before. The clutch and advancer shaft have to come out to reach through the primary shaft and tap the metering plug out for cleaning, but more importantly, to clean out the oil galley in the shaft. I've seen these full of goo. I've also seen this lack of oil flow take out the primary shaft bearing on that side. Hope that's not the case here, or this will get very expensive (for the customer, not me!).

All this comes from the clutches slipping so much they and the end of the primary shaft get very hot.

Dave

morg56

Post by morg56 »

I'm still a bit confused . Do I push the orifice all the way down the shaft till it bottoms out ? O rdo I leave it near the end ? Also what was the pic of the spring about . Am I missing one of those now ? Thanks for the help .

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The aluminum button is tapered, and will seat itself just inside of the outer lip of the shaft. The spring I show is THE alternator clutch spring. It should be behind the drive plate you show in your picture, along with at least two shim washers (a very thick on and a thinner one). And a spring seat next to the case. You had to have one when you took it apart. Stock height is 31mm. 29-31mm is a good working height. The one in my pic is only 23mm. Excessive heat sacked it. But if you are missing the spring, then you have lots more problems to address.

By the looks of your clutch, you probably should hand lap them a bit smoother and see what you have.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Oh, the hole you tried to plug is the crankcase vent. Don't plug it!

Dave

morg56

Post by morg56 »

Thanks for the imput ,it makes sense now .

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”