Connectors needed

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Connectors needed

Post by EMS »

Anybody has a source for the 2 and 8 pin connectors commonly used on the CBX for ignition and charging components. Nothing that fits is on ebay. Tried that.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Connectors needed

Post by herdygerdy »

Hi there EMS, you will need the 6.3mm / 0.250" Sumitomo lock type connectors available from www.cycleterminal.com
http://www.cycleterminal.com/250-connectors.html#SC250

And some areas on Prolinks use the 2.8mm / 0.110" Hitachi lock type connectors.
http://www.cycleterminal.com/110-connectors.html

A good crimp tool is a must to do this work and a worthwhile investment.

Used these folks many times and found their products and service to be excellent.

If we are talking about a twin shock, I think you'll find the connector from the pulsers is a 6 wire connector and those for the alternator and also the one from the igniters to the coils are 4 wire connectors.

Handy tip 1: The 'gender' of the connector is determined by the sex of the terminal on the end of the wire inside the housing, and NOT the gender of the plastic connector itself. So what looks at first glance to be a 'male' plastic connector is actually 'female' because the terminals on the end of the wires inside the housing are female.
(Look carefully at the male/female below each type of connector on the web page).

Handy tip 2: I use a wide Sharpie permanent marker pen to 'colour in' all over the exterior of the white plastic connector housings, so I can easily change from standard issue white to any colour I need to match the OEM connector on the harness side (ie; red). Works much better than I expected TBH.

HTH. cheers...Tony

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Mike Nixon »

They're available from Honda as well. Always have been.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks guys! I know how to tell a male from a female connector...although I do not have children...
I am also aware of the difference between 79/80 and Prolink connectors.
I saw cycleterminal's web-site, but I wasn't sure that I looked at the correct size connectors.
Some of the 2-pin connectors available out there are different to the Honda ones. Looks like the pin arrangement differs.
I will order a few and see how they compare. I need just 2 and 8 pin. I have all the others.
Buying them from Honda will require me to go to the bank and mortgage my house....

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

Buying them from Honda will require me to go to the bank and mortgage my house....

Lol

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Here is the issue with the connectors from Cycleterminal. Be aware of this in case you need any and order from them.
On the 6-pin connectors, the clip-together parts are reversed. The connectors will not lock together with the original Honda connectors.
The 2-pin connectors, the pins are side by side, the Honda connectors have the pins at a 90° position from each other.

I guess I still need a source for the connectors... Honda may be the only way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

The Sumitomo Lock Type .250 connectors that Cycle Terminal sell have the locking tabs on the opposite connector that will match the Honda OEM. They also have the flange on the female connector, again, like OEM. The 2 conductor connectors from this series are in the same configuration as the one in your picture with the wires attached.
2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Joe at cycleterminal must have sent you different ones. the ones you see in the pictures are the ones I got from him and they do not match.
The pictures on his web-site also show "male" and "female" switched.

Anybody else could pitch in to solve the mystery?

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

These should be exactly what' s needed on these old Honda's. I just ordered a bunch today - I'll match them up when I get them to confirm.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/250-connectors.html#SC250

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I've looked and looked and I still can't see why the new connectors pictured won't match up and work fine. What am I missing?

Dave

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

The issue is the locking tab on the outside of the connector that holds the male/female sections together. The new ones in Mike's picture has the female tab on the male connector, the male tab on the female connector. The OEM Honda locking tabs are male on the male connector. The confusing part is the Cycle Terminal web page with these terminals has two different manufactures that look very similar and would probably fit together except that the locking tabs will conflict.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think that may be the explanation. Joe seemed to be a tad unorganized when I ordered the kit. He never confirmed the order or gave me (expected) shipping info. When I put a little pressure on him, he blamed it on the Covid issue and then may have shipped the wrong kit. I will speak to him on the phone.
As far as the 2-pin connector is concerned, I think the physical difference is obvious, isn't it?

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Hi EMS,
I see the issue with both connector types and feel your frustration. It may not help much, but in my experience I've ordered, received and happily used many 2 wire connectors from cycleterminal that are direct 'plug 'n play' replacements for the OEM Honda ones (with correct spade terminal orientation), plugging directly into the brown two wire connector that comes from the kill switch on the wiring loom side. So all I can say is that cycleterminal definitely does have (or has had) them.

If it gets way too hard to get the right ones, then perhaps buy their 2 terminal removal tools (1x thinner than the other) which makes removing terminals from the old connector housings a breeze. And you could then use a matching new pair (and also have the opportunity to clean/replace the spade connectors on the wiring loom side of the connectors too). OK, not strictly OEM but at least the connection will be solid and will look 'OEM-ish'.

And for those connector housings with the locking tabs 'arse about', in a bind I've been able to secure the ones with the loops together with a small cable tie. Good luck and keep us posted.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Thanks, I have the removal tools. And most of the connectors I need are not for myself but for stuff I like to sell that need the connectors replaced. Whoever buys the part need the connector to fit. That's my main issue.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”