Alternator spring, coupling plates

Steve k
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Alternator spring, coupling plates

Post by Steve k »

I am in the process of restoring my 1979 CBX. I am currently working on the alternator and have a few questions. The coupling spring length is 24.75mm can this be used with shimming or do I need to look for a spring closer the original length of 31mm? When I disassembled the alternator I found there was only one thrust washer between the spring and the coupling plate. What kind of material is the missing washer (part # 90466-422-000) made of? Could the washer be made from Delrin? If so, what is the thickness of the missing washer?
Thanks,
Steve

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Alternator spring, coupling plates

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

24.75 sounds VERY small.
Good info here on plates, washers.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11726&p=95807&hili ... her#p95807

Welcome to the site.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Steve, I have to agree. This seems to be more than a spring would set. Maybe it is a non-original spring or it was cut.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The spring is way too short. If there is evidence of bluing, the spring got overheated and sacked out. You need a replacement spring for sure. Normal sag is a mm or so. You are missing the thick fiber washer, maybe 2mm thick. You need that also, then maybe another steel one to add as a shim. Your clutch plates can't look too good either? Those need addressed, plus new bearings, seal and shaft o-ring. Check the slip ring resistance, it should be close to 4 ohm. Also make sure the red plug hasn't overheated.

Dave

Steve k

Post by Steve k »

Dave,

Thanks for the info.

I will try to find a spring closer to 31mm as they were new. If I can not find an exact replacement for the 2mm fiber washer can I make a replacement from a material like Delrin?

I will shim as needed and set the preload as explained by Mike Nixon in his CBX Alternator article. The coupling plates do show grooving. I am going to have them resurfaced like Nils at RetoCycles shows in his video. I have new bearings, seals and o-ring. Slip ring resistance is 4 ohms. The red connector plug was melted. The PO bypassed it with spade connectors. I have sourced a new plug and connectors from Vintage Connections.

Steve

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Sounds like you're on the right track. Lots of fiber washers around. Contact Tevan (Terry) here or Louis.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

If you don't work on a "original showroom" restoration with all original parts to sell the bike on BaT, you can save yourself a lot of current and future trouble and headache by investing in an alternator conversion. The project uses more modern Kawasaki alternators with integrated regulators and modified drive. They still pop up ever so often on ebay or you can contact JR Luksik from CBXtra or Bill Brint at Tim's directly

https://www.ebay.com/itm/honda-cbx-1000 ... SwJ3te9KHO

Or maybe a member here has one for sale.

Steve k

Post by Steve k »

I don't plan on making this CBX an extremely high end restoration but I would like to keep it as original as possible. I will try to get the stock alternator charging at an acceptable level. I do however appreciate other opinions. Thanks.

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

Converting to LEDs will go a long way to help your alternator charge at an acceptable level. LEDs reduce the electrical load of the lights from around 100 watts to 20-25 watts.
http://www.cbxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=11771
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

Steve k

Post by Steve k »

Joe, Thanks for the heads up regarding LED's. I plan on ordering the lights you recommend.

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

Steve, Make sure you get the headlight hondaman160 recommended or something similar. The one I used will work in a pro-link, but not a twin-shock.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”