Ignitech unit

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ignitech unit

Post by jt »

JR, I did not want to hijack the other thread that is going on about the spark units.

I have a Ignitech that I had Rick on the CB1100F site get for me on his last group buy for my CBX. I have not done anything like this other than a Tims Dyna S system on my 79 CBX. The CBX I want to use it on I have just installed the Dyna Green 3-Ohm coils on it with Suppression wires. Will that work with the unit ? Can you elaborate on what works and what does not for us novices ?
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Ignitech unit

Post by CBX-tras »

I'm not certain at the Ignitech will work with your Dyna coils, check with them. I've been using the TEC MP-08 coils that a lot of newer Honda's use. Buy them used, for a GoldWing and get a set of 3, CBR if you're working on a DOHC-4.

The beauty of the Ignitech is that you can either use the stock advancer (that some people feels is inadequate depending on year/part number) or weld the advancer so it can't advance and program the Ignitech to advance for you at YOUR desired mapping. Works with your stock pick-up coils.
It can also do a delayed start. IE: 3 revolutions to clear the cylinders before firing. (Will NOT eliminate the cause/effect of hydrolock).
Ignition interrupt: IE: when used with an air shifter, momentarily stops firing to take the load off of the motor while shifting (you won't notice).
Other inputs. Such as Throttle Position Sensor (must be fabricated for your carbs). Especially useful with competition carbs to provide precise ignition.

Just some of the benefits.

This link will take you directly to the unit they make that works on the CBX: https://ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm
Last edited by CBX-tras on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pridanc

Post by Pridanc »

CBX-tras, thanks for the info. Question: Is the Ignitech reasonably easy to install? Does not have to be but curious.
Also, as I'm no electrical wiz, does this unit permit removal of most of the CBX ignition stuff? I'm all for simplification.
Let me know your thoughts if you can.

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

CBX-tras,
Thanks for the info, one last thing where did you end up mounting the unit on the early model and late model CBX I plan to put one on my late model I'm working on.
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

I'm shopping for a new ignition as well. I've had the Dyna ignition on a previous Moto Guzzi restoration. Works well enough but not as flexible as the digital options and I want to eliminate the mechanical advancer. The Ignitech TCIP4 cost appears to be half of the Sachse kit ($195 USD vs $440 USD w shipping) but uses the stock pulser/trigger coils. The Ingitech unit can be modified with software you can download from their website which is cool but not sure I would mess with any of that. Both appear to be able to use the stock or aftermarket high performance coils (with the specified primary resistance).

Does Ignitech ship the unit with a proven ignition map for the CBX?? Is there any other downside to choosing the Ignitech over the Sachse (which looks to be a pretty complete kit)?
2022 KTM 890R, 1982 Pro-Link, 1979 CBX 'Z, 1975 Moto Guzzi 850T
Long Sleeping '79 CBX Restoration > viewtopic.php?f=102&t=11699

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Easy enough to install/wire. Not necessarily recommended for beginners.

Mounting- Sorry, none of my builds are early models or stock. The box is smaller than a pack of cigarettes. Fab a bracket, velco, tuck it in somewhere. All of mine have a fabricated battery box and relocated. I fab complete, custom harnesses from scratch as needed.

Roland Skate (Rol) did a big write up over on the CBX WORLD site, search there for more.
https://cbxworld.com/modules.php?name=F ... ic&t=17814

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

CBX-tras wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:12 am
... I've been using the TEC MP-08 coils that a lot of newer Honda's use. Buy them used, for a GoldWing and get a set of 3, CBR if you're working on a DOHC-4.
CBX-tras, I found a nice used set of TEC MP-08 coils from a Goldwing as you suggested. They measure out just over 3 ohms vs/ the 2.5 ohms from the stock coils. You've had no issues with your Igitech ignition with these coils? I've read elsewhere that lower primary resistance coils (less than 3 ohms) seem to work better with the Igitech setup. I like the size verses the the stock coils or even Dyna's.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

shiskowd wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:02 pm
CBX-tras wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:12 am
... I've been using the TEC MP-08 coils that a lot of newer Honda's use. Buy them used, for a GoldWing and get a set of 3, CBR if you're working on a DOHC-4.
CBX-tras, I found a nice used set of TEC MP-08 coils from a Goldwing as you suggested. They measure out just over 3 ohms vs/ the 2.5 ohms from the stock coils. You've had no issues with your Igitech ignition with these coils? I've read elsewhere that lower primary resistance coils (less than 3 ohms) seem to work better with the Igitech setup. I like the size verses the the stock coils or even Dyna's.
They'll work just fine.

shiskowd
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by shiskowd »

They'll work just fine.
Thanks... Last question - are you running resistor plug caps w/ resistor plugs? Again, I've read Ignitech is somewhat fussy about this.

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

shiskowd wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:58 pm
They'll work just fine.

Thanks... Last question - are you running resistor plug caps w/ resistor plugs? Again, I've read Ignitech is somewhat fussy about this.
Yes.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”