LED Conversion

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: LED Conversion

Post by NobleHops »

Awesome, thank you.
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

Artie
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Artie »

To further lower my wattage with heated gear and Oxford grips I’ve gone to Halogen headlite (forgot which one) and LED PULSING TAIL LAMPS much brighter and made a big enough difference to see in the voltmeter instantly and now can ride all day with HEAT!
Got stuck one day before swapping out and lucky to be able to be on hill and bump start
Amazon Antoine 1157s

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RZ ... =UTF8&psc=

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

I just read through this string of posts again, and I noticed that my LED turn signals were mentioned. It has been several years since I sold any, and I never advertised them, so I still have a few sets of them left, if anyone is interested. If this is new to you, you might want to read the thread about them. It starts over ten years ago, and covers both the original and the second version of those LED conversions. It is many pages long. Here is a link to that thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6367&hilit=LED

If anyone is interested, contact me.
SCH Rochester, MN

shrap66
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by shrap66 »

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of completing this conversion. So far so good. I swapped out the front and rear winkers and the 2 for the taillight and installed the relay.

The only thing is that after installing the LED'S I no longer have running lights on the front winkers and no more running taillight.

When I use the turn signals they work fine and so does the taillight when I apply the brakes.

Did not have that problem with the OEM bulbs.

I am noticing there is a third green wire on the relay harness that is not connected anywhere. Could that be the culprit ?
Luc

1979 KZ1000
1982 CBX1000
1983 GS1100SD Katana
2010 FLTRX

shrap66
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by shrap66 »

I checked the wiring diagram and the front running lights, the meter lights and the taillight are all connected with the right 5A fuse in the fusebox and its blown, I swapped a fresh one and it also fried. There is something shorting.
Luc

1979 KZ1000
1982 CBX1000
1983 GS1100SD Katana
2010 FLTRX

shrap66
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by shrap66 »

Found the culprit. It the stupid clock. Everything working fine now. Just need to figure out the clock.
Luc

1979 KZ1000
1982 CBX1000
1983 GS1100SD Katana
2010 FLTRX

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I had the same problem with the LED tail light/brake light on an '82. The tail light would not come on when the key was switched on, but as soon as you activated the brake light, the tail light would come on and stay on. Tried several different LED bulbs - all the same. Never did figure it out. Not a big deal as you always hit the brake before pulling away on the bike anyway.

Dave

spencer
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by spencer »

NobleHops wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:33 pm
.... Spencer’s solution is no longer available./quote]

I am not here as often as I have been in the past, but I don't know how I missed this. I do still have a few sets of the LED turn signal conversions I made a few years ago, in case anyone is interested.

I think that this solution of just replacing the bulb with an LED is a good way to go. I still think my LED conversions look better, but not by a lot. That is because with the stock setup, there is a shadow where the lamp socket blocks the reflector. However, the difference is not significant.

Keep up the good work!
SCH Rochester, MN

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”