Getting a key cut

jonathan
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Getting a key cut

Post by jonathan »

Hi Folks.
I have just one key which is only a hardware store copy anyway. Is it possible to get a ‘proper’ Honda key for my CBX?
Many thanks
Jonathan

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Re: Getting a key cut

Post by daves79x »

In a word - no. The original CBX key blanks are non-existent. But there are quite nice blanks available with a rubber covering that say 'Honda' on them. Better than a plain metal blank.

Dave

jonathan

Post by jonathan »

That sounds perfect Dave. Are we talking eBay for blanks and then getting your local key cutter to cut them?
Cheers Jonathan

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Any good locksmith would have the blanks I'm referring to.

Dave

jonathan

Re: Getting a key cut UPDATE

Post by jonathan »

Ok, well, after Dave’s prompting I trawled the internet and found a ‘Honda’ blank with David Silver spares. Not cheap at £15 including tax and delivery but it has a nice Honda logo and compared to the cost of the bike is a bit of ‘light relief’!!
All the best

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I have found seconds of my original keys by looking for the number engraved on the key. Most vintage Honda parts dealers have original Honda "pre-cut" keys you can search by the number on them.

Eretansal

Post by Eretansal »

First, the most common reason when the second key becomes necessary is the loss of the primary key. At this point, the second key becomes very handy, and the main thing is to remember where it is and safely use it. And you should not forget to make a duplicate, which will now be kept at home just in case. The second reason when the second key can be helpful to be mechanical wear and tear. This happens quite rarely, but it is still not worth excluding. The lock begins to rotate poorly and jam. And the reason maybe not even in the key but in the casing. But it is still worth checking. If the symptoms disappear when using a second key, it means that the cause was its wear and tear. A car key replacement company can cut you a new metal key with your VIN.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”