Starter won't turn - HELP!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Re: Starter won't turn - HELP!

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

NobleHops wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:15 pm
108 INCH pounds is nominal for a 6mm bolt, but as Joe says, do them all evenly and just snug, and then just nip them up a little more. 15 FOOT pounds will send you off on a TimeSert adventure in super thin castings, a potential disaster. Be careful there.
What Nils said!
108 ILbs = 9 FLbs, even that is a lot for these porous castings. Use the correct torque specs, torque wrench and sneak up to the final torque # in a couple steps. Or do it by feel if you have the ability! Just don’t over tighten these old Japanese castings and fasteners.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Definitely as Jeff said!!! I had to timesert a cam cap bolt thread that stripped the casting at 11 ft-lbs. (Spec 9 - 12) Porosity in the head casting. So, yes, as Nils and Jeff mentioned, CAUTION. Side note: this always has me wonder about those who want stronger cam cap bolts. If your stockers are breaking at 10 ft-lbs, you might check your t-wrench. (Or, were they really original stock bolts?!)
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

shrap66
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by shrap66 »

Yep that’s what I did nice and easy up to 108 in pounds, I have nice mini torque wrench which came in handy.

Filled up with 4L of Castrol. Ran the engine a bit and finished filling up to the high point, it took almost another litre.

Did a test run and the bike shifts like a charm.

Real happy with the result.

Thanks for all of your help guys !
Luc

1979 KZ1000
1982 CBX1000
1983 GS1100SD Katana
2010 FLTRX

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”