Late Model Ignition Switch

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Post by Dave Ditner »

Hey guys, I'm in a bind. Bike started cutting out on the road today. Checked the main fuse and it's fine. Wiggle the hard shell connector at the base of the ignition switch and it cuts out and back in. What I need is the instructions from the late model service manual for disassembling the switch. it's gotta be done in a particular sequence. I'm in Florida and my manual's in Michigan. :(
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Ignition Switch

Post by Jim-Jim »

Davey,
I've never done this myself but this is what the book says:
1) Remove the instrument cluster and disconnect the plug.
Note: Note the color of the wires; there are no colors on the switch.
2) Remove the ignition switch.
3) Insert the key and turn it to the ACC position
4) Apparently, the base is held in place by plastic tangs that catch in 3
slots in the metal shell of the switch.
Push these tangs in to release the contact base from the metal body.

5) Assembly is the reverse.
I hope this helps; maybe someone who has actually done it may have more to offer but it looks pretty straightforward to me. :D :D :D
Jim-Jim

Davey

Post by Davey »

Hey Jim JIm thanks. It is pretty straight forward with the key in the right place. Early models are different and there's only one key position that lets you disassemble the switch. If the key is in the wrong position you can't depress the three little tangs that hold the pieces together. So step three is the key I was looking for. Thanks again :D
Hopefully cleaning the contacts will fix the problem. It hasn't been apart in 20 some years so God knows what's in there. Again, I appreciate it

Re: Late Model Ignition Switch

Post by Guest »

Davey wrote:Hey Jim JIm thanks. It is pretty straight forward with the key in the right place. Early models are different and there's only one key position that lets you disassemble the switch. If the key is in the wrong position you can't depress the three little tangs that hold the pieces together. So step three is the key I was looking for. Thanks again :D
Hopefully cleaning the contacts will fix the problem. It hasn't been apart in 20 some years so God knows what's in there. Again, I appreciate it
What you do Dave,lend your bike to Mike?

jeff

DAvey

Ignition switch

Post by DAvey »

:cheers: :clap: :clap: On the road again. Found the problem in the process of removing the switch. The battery feed wire to the switch had come loose from it's terminal. But while I was that far into it I disassembled the switch, shot some tv tuner cleaner/lube into the electrical end of it, and cleaned and regreased the ball/ detent portion of the switch and lubed the lock pin. The worst part of the whole deal was getting the loose terminal out of the hardshell connector so I could solder the battery lead to the terminal

Hey Jeff, Mikey didn't have anything to do with this one. It must have been my own abuse :oops:

Davey

Ignition switch.

Post by Davey »

Amazing what a good electrical connection can do. The old connection must have been on the verge of failure for a long time. Easier starting, cleaner running when cold, and goes off choke much sooner.

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”