alternator rattle, new owner/member

guzzi1
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

alternator rattle, new owner/member

Post by guzzi1 »

Have purchased a 1981 CBX that has a rattle from the alternator in first and second gear occasionally until 3,000 - 3,500 rpm is this anything to be concerned about? Also bike needs some minor touch up on tank and decal on fairing and front fender, any good paint shops in South jersey / Phila. area and is paint available, decal? looking forward to getting to know you folks and would like to keep bike in origianl condition it has 4,100 miles on it. any other sugestions as to parts suppliers, good shops in my area etc is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
guzzi1[/quote]

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

alternator rattle........

Post by sr71cbx »

------Welcome to the club,they all do that to some extent.It's more or less a normal thing with these bikes to have some noise from the alternator clutch plates inside :)

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Mark, thanks for the reply.

Gary

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Alternator rattle

Post by EMS »

I am not 100% convinced it is the plates. They normally produce a higher pitch "chirp", more like a grinding noise than a "rattle". Just to be sure, check the bearing in the cover. :?:

John S. (5594)
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

CBX Decals - Paintwork

Post by John S. (5594) »

Hi guzzi1,

For the 79/80 CBX bodywork - I am using reproduction decals from AFE Graphics in Canada:

http://www.afegraphics.com

I spoke with them last week and learned that they are working on kits for the 81/82 ProLink CBX's - not sure about the timeframe for availability.

Can't help with a paint shop recommendation in Jersey - I am sure there are quite a few quality paint shops in your area. I am using these folks locally:

http://www.cyclefinish.net

Their website is a work in progress - but I can attest to the OEM quality (and really much better) work they do. I will be sure to post some photos of the two CBX bodywork sets they are finishing for me this week (Perseus Silver and Candy Glory Red). Based on the previous work this shop has done for me - they should be stunning.

And shipment doesn't cost too much :)

All the best with your '81 CBX,

John
San Jose, California

andy
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by andy »

Have you checked the praggle shaft? They can be a source of strange noises if not torqued to spec. :eek:
75 Kawa F7, 71 CB500-4, 79 750F, 82 750 Sabre, 83 Suzuki XN85 TURBO, 81 CBX, 69 CB750 X 14 (like those old Honda's a little)

Return to “ELECTRICAL: Alternator, Batteries, Headlights, Switches, Tailights, Wiring....”