Overflow when Bike is Cooling Down

CShores

Overflow when Bike is Cooling Down

Post by CShores »

On my 79 CBX, I always get a little gasoline spot on the garage floor beneath the overflow tube exit, when the bike is cooling down after riding. I can see gasoline driping for about 10 minutes after shutting down. This is with the bike on the centerstand, with the petcock turned to OFF, and on a level surface. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening. The garage ends up smelling like gas, etc.

Thanks

Craig Shores

sr71cbx
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by sr71cbx »

--
Last edited by sr71cbx on Sun May 16, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CRAZY DAVE
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by CRAZY DAVE »

The gas in the carbs could also be going thru a heat soak condition after you shut the bike off- just like an old-time radiator ( one without a recovery system ) that spits green stuff on your garage floor on a hot day. I put a fan in front of my bike after I park it on a hot day.
Don't think of it as a motorcycle-- Think of it as a very fun 2-wheeled engine stand powered by a Japanese Slant Six !!

Dave Ditner
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Location: Oxford, Michigan except for winter, Wildwood Florida then

Carb Leakage.

Post by Dave Ditner »

I've also seen instances where the brass stand pipe that serves as the overflow tube will crack and leak all the time. How big of a puddle do you get? Just for kicks, put a catch container below the carb drain hoses and open the drains one at a time comparing the amount of fuel drained from each carb. Might tell you something. Then open the shut off, refill the carbs and see if it happens again.
Davey

9 Xs: 4-79s, 1-80, 1-81 and 3-82s

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”