Cleaning clogged idle jets

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Cleaning clogged idle jets

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

I use a small wooden dowel and lightly tap the jets back into place.
There certainly isn't a thud when they land but you can "feel" it when the shoulder seats.

I have tapped idle jets before screwing in the puller and on others i have not bothered tapping them first.
Both methods worked.

MexRR
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Post by MexRR »

Hi folks.
I am in the middle of the process with my carbs; but I ran into an issue when pulling the idle jets. Jets 1-4 pulled out nicely, but in # 5 while making the thread the tap got broken inside the jet!. :o ;Before trying any crazy ideas I thought it is worth to ask the community if anyone ran into similar situation and how you got out of the rat-hole.
Tap tool broken.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

This is always the danger with the very small taps used for this operation. The only way I know to have it removed is to find a shop that can 'burn' it out, EDM process, I think. I've done dozens and dozens of them and have only broken one tap, but I have extra carb bodies so I went that route. If you can't find someone to EDM it, I likely have a #5 body I can sell you. You also really need to separate the carbs and do a complete rebuild, new o-rings and all.

Dave

MexRR

Post by MexRR »

Thanks for your response Dave. The tap broke leaving a few of its threads exposed; seems like it did not broke at the nozzle body flat. I see a little chance to use a 4-40 female cylindrical stand-off and try to use those exposed threads of the tap tool and pull the nozzle out. If I succeed in that case I will need only a nozzle, otherwise I will go replacing the whole body. Please let me know how much do you want for the #5 body in case it is needed. Silly question, are all nozzles interchangeable or they have specific assignment to the carb position?

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

If you can get any kind of grip on it, heat the tower up before trying to pull it. The #35 idle jets are all the same and readily available. Let us know how you make out with it. I'll then PM you some info on a replacement body.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Could you use a dremel tool with a small rotary bit to remove the softer brass of the jet surrounding the tap, keeping away from the the inner carb body tower? Remove enough material to grab the tap and pull the jet out after heating the tower like Dave suggested or have the tap come out and try again with a larger tap since the jet is junk anyway!

MexRR

Post by MexRR »

Jeff Bennetts wrote:Could you use a dremel tool with a small rotary bit to remove the softer brass of the jet surrounding the tap, keeping away from the the inner carb body tower? Remove enough material to grab the tap and pull the jet out after heating the tower like Dave suggested or have the tap come out and try again with a larger tap since the jet is junk anyway!
This sounds like a good idea. I will try to find a rotary bit that might fit. I will let you guys know how it went. Thanks again for your inputs.
Demetrio

BillB
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by BillB »

I wonder how this worked out. Dremel has diamond tipped bits of various sizes and shapes, some quite tiny. I once broke a tap in an engine block, below the surface with nothing to grab and the diamond tipped bits made quick work of the tap, cutting across it so it eventually fell out. If there is room to carve out the surrounding jet as Jeff suggests, these bits would do that very easily. Or you might want to give it a shot at cutting out the tap. These are the only bits that will cut taps, which are usually very hard (but brittle) tungsten carbide steel.
Bill
79, 81 & 82 CBXs
Others in the garage: 91 Ducati 917ie, 04 RC51, 05 MV Agusta F4 1000, 09 ST1300
ICOA 2924
Buckeye, AZ

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I am not very hopeful that this will work. I have a carb body with a stuck emulsion tube. Marred the slot when trying to get it out. Then broke the extractor when trying to get it out. Tried all kind of things. Very difficult to "machine" in the small orifice without damaging the walls by running the tool into the aluminum. Finally gave up and replaced the carb.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”