Help with 79 X carbs....

joel
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Help with 79 X carbs....

Post by joel »

My 79 CBX had performed well until I let it set for too long...24 months....and the carbs/linkage froze up. I have removed the carbs and cleaned them well and used the "factory settings" from Clymer's book on the carbs (fuel/air...1 1/4 turns), however, I can't get it to fire on all 6 cyl. Spark checks OK on all 6. I DID NOT separate the carbs on dissassemlby. Any suggestions?[/img]
"Live like you should...love like you shouldn't....ride like your life depends on it!"

real6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by real6 »

Get Mike Nixon's carb booklet.

joel

OK......but...

Post by joel »

OK...............Thanks for the reply.....but, where do I find that?!?
"Live like you should...love like you shouldn't....ride like your life depends on it!"

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

real6 wrote:Get Mike Nixon's carb booklet.

That's good advice IF you have to pull the carbs again. You sure you had gas in all float bowels? But try this, it MAY (?) work.

Go to your Yamaha dealer and buy a bottle of there "Yamaha Carb Cleaner" ( Black Bottle). Drain your float bowels and follow the directions on the bottle of carb cleaner. After you had it in the carbs for a while, turn your kill switch off and crank the eng over a few time with the throttle open hopefully that will help pull some of the cleaner further up into the jets. Let it soak some more. then drain. If that does not work you will have to pull the carbs and disassemble again ( jets, nozzles, needles,pilot air jets and the air cut off cap). Make sure ALL the passages and jets are CLEAN, then clean them some more :shock: . Use a can of Berrymans Spray carb cleaner and sand a point on the red spray tube and use in all the passage ways and watch for good flow where it comes out at another opening. ( Wear eye protection) This is where Mike Nixon's book can come in handy to show all the passage ways. The slow speed jet under the rubber plug is notorious for clogging up and HARD to clean. While you have the carbs off make sure all six of the accel pump nozzles spray a good stream of fuel in each throat. Go page 17 of the photo section you will see some pics of a carb cutaway to help. Don't forget to check float level while there off.

Good luck

JT
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

joel

Thanks JT....

Post by joel »

Thanks for the input JT! I'll be all over it this weekend!.....again :oops:

I still don't know where to get that carb book you all are talking about. I can't find in on this website. Do you have a link?

Thanks again>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>joel

jt
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by jt »

Joel,

Here is a link to Ebay, for the book from Mike Nixon.

JT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Helpful- ... 5552QQrdZ1
JT In Texas

The biggest troublemaker you'll probably ever
have to deal with, watches you from
the mirror every mornin'.

real6
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by real6 »

Mike Nixon website is <www.motorcycleproject.com> there is an awful lot of information there, more than you can digest in a single visit, kinda like Disneyland for motorcycle guys.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

...are the chokes working?

Post by Mike Nixon »

Check the choke plates. Each time the carb set is removed, the choke system tends to hang up. It's a lousy system and I have modified it on my own bike. The booklet is available from the following website.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/

:)

joel

Thanks to you all......

Post by joel »

Thank you all for the help.....I believe I have it whipped at this point. I found a spring off of the choke that was keeping the right 3 carbs from working and also the acclelerator pump diaphram had one of the holes plugged. (Duh!) :roll:

Since I have it apart again......I would also like to fix the leaking valve cover gasket, that has leaked from new. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket gasket still available that won't leak?

Thanks again!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Joel

fasterspider
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Thanks to you all......

Post by fasterspider »

joel wrote:

Since I have it apart again......I would also like to fix the leaking valve cover gasket, that has leaked from new. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket gasket still available that won't leak?

Thanks again!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Joel
Honda makes the only cam cover gasket you should ever put on your X. Use Gaskacinch to hold the gasket to the cover.

You may want to put a light smearing of HondaBond in the cam cut outs and replace the 8 bolt seals.

My X was leaking around a couple of the bolts and I replaced them last week and no more oil leaks out. Life is good with my X.

If you goto your profile and fill in your location, you may find help lives around the corner from you.
Ray#1

The Fasterspider

Slightly modified 79 CBX

Ride Red

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

yup!

Post by Mike Nixon »

Hi, Ray! :)

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”