shameless plug...

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Carb Book

Post by Mike Nixon »

Jim-Jim wrote:Mike,

I'm trying to reach you through 'reply' in your PM, but everything is going to my 'Out Box', so I don't think you're getting them. Please let me know if you are; otherwise contact me directly through email: jjbigger@juno.com

If anybody knows what the heck the 'Out Box' is for and how to get the stuff in there out, please let me know.

Thanks

Jim-Jim

I got ya, Jim. Check your PM. :-)

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

shameless plug...

Post by Mike Nixon »

A heartfelt Thank You to all who have purchased the carburetor cleaning booklet! Thank you for your welcome suggestions also. Plenty more booklets in stock. No waiting. Don't forget you get a 30% discount by buying direct. :D
Last edited by ICOA WebTeam on Sat May 08, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cleaned up HTML for PHPBB3

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Got my copy today and can only say wish I had it 2 weeks ago when I had carbs out! Been a mechanic now for 26 years but there's sure lots of good info in there, which I didn't know. Great work Mike!

Thanks

Bob.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

shameless plug...

Post by Mike Nixon »

Bob -- Much appreciated. Thanks for the kind words. :)

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

Mike,

Got the copy yesterday; :banana: :bow: GREAT BOOK!!! :clap: :thumupp: GREAT PICTURES :rocker: :cheers: Especially that you don't have to take the carbs off the rack to clean them unles the connecting pipes are leaking. Super, super publication.

By the way, found an additional, small typo: Page 29, upper right paragraph - 'if' should be 'it' (I think).

Many thanks.

All of you mechanics, GET ONE !!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

shameless plug...

Post by Mike Nixon »

Thanks, Jim. Your comments and suggestions are very appreciated. :D

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Well Mike cann't take it anymore. Your book has raised so many things I have overlooked I'm going to strip carbs back off tomorrow! Its raining here anyway!

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

well...

Post by Mike Nixon »

...sorry! :D

cshores
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Leaking fuel joint O-rings

Post by cshores »

Mike;

Any words of advice on leaking fuel joint tube O-rings before I tear apart my carburetors to replace the O-rings?
Craig

bobber
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by bobber »

Well stripped carbs off and apart. Found the floats to be adjusted on the high side so set them to 15.5 spec. The hint of the spray nozzle tip sure works GREAT. After I was done I used some compressed air to quickly dust the carbs off and noticed a "thunk-thunk' when blowing on the front of carbs. What I found was, with an air nozzle about 12" in front of the inlets the slides would open and close as air passed by them. Well at least I know slides aren't sticking. Another thing I did notice was that if I held the carbs up to a window I could see light thru 3 of the butterflies whereas the other 3 seemed tight.... no light. Time for a carb sync me think.

But I do have a question. New inlet manifolds, between carbs and head, anyone have an idea as to the oreintation of them? They are slanted and I cannot find anything in the Honda service manual as to how to install them so they taper right.

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Re: Leaking fuel joint O-rings

Post by Mike Nixon »

cshores wrote:Mike;

Any words of advice on leaking fuel joint tube O-rings before I tear apart my carburetors to replace the O-rings?

Obviously, you want to bottle-feed the carbs now that they are on the bench, to see if and where they are leaking. Two things to think about. First, in many cases what people think is a leaking seal is actually overflowing float bowls, common enough even on otherwise perfectly-working carbs. The floats tend to stick, and even the tiniest amount of foreign material will dislodge a float valve. Second, should there be an verified fuel feed pipe leak, let the carbs dip into a pan for several minutes. In many cases, the seals (o-rings) will swell from the fuel and the leak will stop. If it does, well, you have a choice. In that case it is is just dried and shriveled o-rings. Should be replaced, sure, but sometimes, if the bike will be ridden frequently, you can postpone it. :-)

As for completely separating the carbs, be methodical and fanatically careful. A LOT of parts there, many of which are not available. :D

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

booklets

Post by Mike Nixon »

See previous post viewtopic.php?t=1495&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Charging and Valve Adjustment booklets now available. :-)

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... knook.html

Mike Nixon
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Booklet Update

Post by Mike Nixon »

Update...Five CBX booklets are now available. Go to the following link for more information.

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/motorc ... knook.html

Chris
Amazing Poster
Amazing Poster

Post by Chris »

Well, I've used Mike's book to verify that (shockingly :oops: ) my '79's idle ciruit is clogged.

Lets see...........................

I think that this makes frustrating problem number 103 on this restoration. :?

Was talking with George and he said that it once took him 6 hours to clean a stubbornly clogged carb. I think I've got 2 hours into this one with no sign of improvement.

Gotta be able to tolerate a little pain to be a longterm X owner. :wink:

alimey4u2
ICOA Web Video Director
ICOA Web Video Director

Post by alimey4u2 »

Chris, If I can get with Dennis & SunDog to make up manifolds for "3" Weber DCOE 40's.... problem solved..... 8)

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”