Will 81's fit on 1979?

6Sation
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Will 81's fit on 1979?

Post by 6Sation »

:D Hello everyone- I'm BRAND NEW to the club and I want to get my 1979 CBX on the raod!!! PROBLEM: sat for 3 yaers with fuel in it, and have been advised I need a TOTAL carb rebuild! The local Honda Dealer (the only one that will work on machines older than 1985) say's the estimate to be about $850.00. I can't really swing that because of all the other rebuilds I need as well, so I thought I would buy this carb set on eBay (claiming it to work with a simple cleaning), but it is a 1981 set, and I have a 1979? Any advise all you great enthusiasts could offer me would be MOST appreciated!!!!!!!!! Thanks all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Victor in Northern, VA.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Clean your carbs yourself, the ebay carbs may be just as bad, any set you buy used would need to be gone through anyway.

Join the ICOA, come to a rally, ask some questions, clean your carbs save $600.00 and have a great time.

jb

6Sation

Post by 6Sation »

Thanks- but am I understanding you to say that I could "clean" my own carb rack vs. rubuild it- as advised? :shock:

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

6Sation wrote:Thanks- but am I understanding you to say that I could "clean" my own carb rack vs. rubuild it- as advised? :shock:

Clean and rebuild mean about the same thing, you'll need to disassemble the tops and bottoms of the carb bodies to clean or rebuild so you might as well replace the small parts, cut off valve and accel pump while in there cleaning.

jb

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

Jeff...

What about that Yamaha carb cleaner that does not require disassemby....can you or someone post details it.

Mike

6Sation

UPDATE as of 02/0305

Post by 6Sation »

:? The seller of the supposed 1981 carburetor unit (on eBay), has revealed that upon further inspection (and advice from its previous owner), that the unit is actually off a 1980 CBX... This should solve my "compatability" issues for application on my 1979- but I'm still dealing with the "cost" adventure aspect of "off with mine" and "on with the new!" What is anyone's best guess as to what the labor cost at my local Honda Dealer would be to take my carb rack off, and put the new (used) rack on? THNANKS everyone, as I'm REALLY in a tough spot here!!! :cry: Victor, in Northern, VA.

Mike Barone #123
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Mike Barone #123 »

You got a set of carbs that came with the bike....start there.

ICOA has members that might help you with what you have at a fair price.

If this is of interest e me or call ....800-869-5763 then 1, then 4331 mid morn or late afternoon eastern time

Mike

busaboy
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by busaboy »

Mike - re: that Yamaha carb cleaner -

I bought some years ago and tried it a couple of times, as has a friend of mine. It never seemed to do much, although we were ever hopeful!
Eric

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

The Yamaha carb cleaner does work if you have a set of good carbs that may have sat a year or two and are gummed up but It will not perform miracles on old worn out carbs with bad rubber parts and clogged jets.

To bad its not closer to the Morganton rally you could bring your bike down and we would do it for free as a tech session.

jb

mwroach

81' carbs

Post by mwroach »

Victor, I may be wrong on this, but I think the 81 carbs will work fine or at least fit. I also have a 1979 x and many years ago, the original owner put 80 keihins on my bike. They work fine and there are only miner differences between the two. They are slightly larger, but with an after market set of pipes a little more fuel is needed.

I had the same situation with my carbs a few years back when I first bought the bike. If you have a shop manual and "several" evenings to work, and are remotely mechanically inclined, you can rebuild your carbs yourself. I took my time and I know they were done right based on the results I've gotten.

Good luck, mike

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”