Carb questions

onecool56
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Carb questions

Post by onecool56 »

My '82 has carbs #64ABTF with a screw in #35 secondary main jet and a #105 primary main jet. My '81 has carbs #64AWTA with a #95 primary main and what looks like a pressed in secondary main. I am assuming it is also a #35. Do I have the right carbs on my '81? I believe this stack has had a jet kit put in at some time. How is the #35 jet removed and or replaced? I had to replace the number one carb body and it was missing the secondary main jet. Help!

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Hello 56, The 79 through 81 CBX's have pressed in #35 idle jets.

Heres the break down between stock 81 and 82 carbs.

81, Two jets, #105 secondary main and a #35 Nonreplaceable pilot jet, 1980 needles and no primary main jet.

82, Two jets, #105 secondary main and a #35 Replaceable pilot jet, 1980 needles and no primary main jet.

Here's some instructions off the Brewer line for removing the pressed in jets, If I remember right the full directions were on the Danish CBX website years ago.

jb

From: "bogner" <jens.christian.bogner@pop.agora.dk> Add to Address Book

To: "CBX LIST @UCDAVIS" <CBX@ucdavis.edu>, GAZINL@aol.com

Subject: Sv: Idle Jets

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 11:46:51 +0100

I had some time over and a set of old carbs ! and tried out this tip

AND IT WORKS !

Drill 2,5mm and use a 3mm tap mounted with a nut and washer and out it

goes with out ever ruin it !

Our web master is adding picts to our web conserning this, the picts

are some I took when I tried the tip !

www.cbx.dk

Sincerly

JCBX

> Hello,

>

> I just bought the Tech tips chronicles from the ICOA and one thing

surprised me On the carbs section, articles tell that the pressed-in idle jets on the early model can't be removed without ruining it.

> Did you had discussions about this subject on the Forum ?

> I say that because at the french club, we have a tip about it :

> To remove the idle jets, you can tap them at 3mm diameter

> and gently extract them with a screw, washer and nut.

> I've done it several times and it makes the job more easier for

cleaning them. After, they go back in place without problem and the 500 rpm idle is back !!!

>

> Salutations CBXistes

>

> Laurent

>

onecool56

Post by onecool56 »

Thanks Jeff, I'll try that.

Jim-Jim
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Jim-Jim »

I tried to access the site 'cbx.dk' to look at the carb pics but couldn't get past the home page. It looks like you can switch to English but it didn't seem to work. Since I couldn't read the sections, I couldn't find the carb pics. Any help? It seems that if you're drilling and tapping, you're destroying the jet (?) - so, I'm missing something.

Jim-Jim

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Jim, the 3mm tap is used to extract the jet and dosen't thread into the jet orfice but stops before that.

You thread the 3mm tap into the jet body, then put a washer over the tap so not to mar the carb body, then thread a nut on the tap on top of the washer and turn the nut thus pulling the jet out.

to reinsert, measure the depth of the jets with a depth gauge before starting to extrat them, lets say 12mm down, now get a 6x1.0x16mm or longer bolt, mark the bolt at the 12mm's and then insert the jet and use the bolt to chase the jet down the tube until you read the 12mm mark, the 6mm bolt has enough bite in the walls of the tube to push the jet down.

I'm waiting for JCBX to send me his instructions to confirm all this, so hang in there and I'll post them when i get them.

jb

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”