My CBX smells of petrol/gas

zalle
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: My CBX smells of petrol/gas

Post by zalle »

But this will not stop my bike from smelling, will it?
EMS wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:56 pm
... Use ethanol free fuel or an enzyme additive like Startron, you are better off and have an easy restart. That's my take, I am operating 14 carbureted bikes like this very nicely and I will avoid the elaborate discussion that will follow.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

There is already a hose 'plugged into' the vacuum valve vent. Access is very easy down by the right footpeg. I've done it a million times and it takes 15 seconds - you obviously have not. You are indeed getting virtually all the fuel out of the carbs by draining them, a few drops remain, but will quickly evaporate to nothing. The point is to get the fuel level below the point where the jets are submerged in the stale fuel anyway.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

daves79x wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:22 am
There is already a hose 'plugged into' the vacuum valve vent. Access is very easy down by the right footpeg. I've done it a million times and it takes 15 seconds - you obviously have not.
Dave
I have owned a Prolink since 1994 and I do that every year in the spring at first start up and every time after the bike sat for two weeks. Granted, I have not done it a "million times" like you - you must have owned/worked on a lot of 80-82 bikes, one million, my god! - and I am aware of the tube from the vent. But you need to attach another tube to the end of this, or some other device, as it is difficult to access under the bike. Do yourself a favor and take a stop-watch and check how long the whole process takes to fill the bowls. Even without any vacuum valve, filling the empty bowls with a regular petcock may take longer than 15 seconds...

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

5,4,3,2,1 :happy-smileyinthebox:

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Mike - I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that some things get lost in the ‘translation’. You obviously do not want the understand how quick and easy it will is to access the vent line. And yes, relatively speaking, I have worked on a million.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

Dave, I know very well where the vent tube is and how difficult or easy it is to access. You will have to admit that you cannot blow directly into the pipe, even lying on the floor and trying to reach it with your mouth. So you need to slip on an extension or permanently install one or any other device to apply positive pressure to facilitate flow into the bowls. All that will take longer than 15 seconds even after the experience of having it done a million times, which would be 25,000 per year over 40 years working on them, or 68.5 per day, or 2.85 per hour and that 24/7.

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

80E5F7E0-4825-4A45-BE21-010D27196003.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Just re-route the vent line the pipe so it hangs right behind the frame tube. Pull it out from there and you have lots of hose to blow into just kneeling or bending over - is certainly is not rocket science, but you clearly don't like the advice and you certainly do not need to follow it.

Dave

hondaman160mph
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by hondaman160mph »

I replaced the stock petcock on my 82 with a Pingle petcock.
I turn it off every time I shut the engine off.

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

hondaman160mph wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:07 am
I replaced the stock petcock on my 82 with a Pingle petcock.
I turn it off every time I shut the engine off.
The old KISS solution: (Keep It Simple St***id) Works every time! :D
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Errr, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it 'suck' instead of 'blow' into the Auto Fuel Valve tube that runs from No. 3 to the AFV?

I understand that hose provides vacuum (negative pressure) from the intact tract outlet? And you have to be VERY gentle with the amount of pressure exerted on the diaphragm in the AFV - DAMHIK...

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Read more carefully - it’s the VENT hose.

Dave

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I need to say to all here that I'm sorry for my short, blunt responses. My problem is that I've been here too long and have seen and gone over this same thing (and many others) too many times. The advice is sound, proven and works fine, despite the naysayer(s). When I see a question that's been asked a bunch of times over the years, which is most of them, I try to just sit back and have others discuss, but when outright miss-information is put out there, I usually wade in. I don't, nor ever will know everything, but I've been doing this for almost 45 years and would think it can be assumed that I've learned a thing or two. As Nils often very diplomatically says, the 'search' function is your best friend here! Carry on.

Dave

Jeff Bennetts
Posting God
Posting God

Post by Jeff Bennetts »

Dave you only have 4500 posts here, how can we trust you? LOL I’ll call you when I get back from my holiday in the Rivera.

cross
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by cross »

Lots of good points here from everyone. We all have our own opinions and it is alright.
I usually shut my fuel off a mile or so before i get home and always run fuel stabilizer since in California we can't buy ethanol free gas.

I routed my vacuum valve hose to the left and behind the side cover where it is easily accessible for startups.
Sasha

'82 Honda CBX
'99 Triumph TBS
'01 Honda Valkyrie

:auto-sportbike:

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”