Airbox

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Airbox

Post by JoeInTUS »

FWIW, the air box lid clamp was introduced with the 1980 model.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

And you cannot mix and match early and late center chambers. The flatter angle of the Pro-Link carbs required the rubber boots on the central chamber to be lower. Things will not align correctly if you try to use the incorrect central chamber.

Dave

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

I think that was all cleared up before. The question was "how can you tell what you have by looking at it, without comparing it to another unit".

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Howdy everyone? Just came back from a 6,200 mls trip to Alaska (not on my CBX but on my GS) and will finally tackle the airbox installation. I think I have everything I need, original needles, original Keihin jets, all airbox parts and what not. The bike is already on the lift, found a good write up about tilting the engine (never had to, since I bought the bike with pods), and will dig in pretty soon. Hoping to get it running better and not having to change the exhaust. We shall see! Looking forward to some interaction on the forum!

By the way, if anyone is interested, my Alaska ride report is posted here on ADV rider:
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/from ... d.1650555/
New 1980 CBX owner as of January 2023!
Other bikes: BMW R1200GS, BMW R80 G/S, BMW R75/5
Previous bikes: Several SOHC Hondas and KZ's, a few BMWs, Honda CT, HD Fatboy, XL 500, DR 750, RD 350, CB250....

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

Ask away! Have fun -- it is.
The Alaska ride was fantastic!! Thanks so much for the picture book and sharing. What a great Summer.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

steve murdoch icoa #5322
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by steve murdoch icoa #5322 »

Amazing photos of some gorgeous scenery from your trip North.

JoeInTUS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by JoeInTUS »

When you said you took the GS, I thought you meant the R80GS.
Joe S
Tucson, AZ

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Fantastic pictures from your Alaska ride👏

Rick Pope
ICOA Rally Director
ICOA Rally Director

Post by Rick Pope »

Great travel pics. We really enjoyed Alaska in 2014, so much so that we're going again in 2024. But, not on bikes. We're driving our camper rig.
Rick Pope
Either garage is too small or we have too many bikes. Or Momma's car needs to go outside.

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Thanks everyone! Joe, once I am retired and have more time, I'll do the same trip again on the 80 G/S 8)

I tilted my engoine and started taking things apaprt and have a question (or two):

1.) Does anyone have a suggestion for a good carb sync tool? I changed jets and needles back to original and will bench sync as good as I can, however also want to test and adjust the carbs (if necessary) with the bike running and vacuum gauges connected. None of the sync tools I have will reach in there I think.

2.) I have all the airbox pieces I need, except the clamp #8. I will run the paper filter. Can I just fab something up in place of #8? Or is is there a more professional way to hold the paper filter in place?

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous bikes: Several SOHC Hondas and KZ's, a few BMWs, Honda CT, HD Fatboy, XL 500, DR 750, RD 350, CB250....

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

I'm sure Louis or Terry would have the spring clip. Motion Pro makes a long sync tool, but you really need the short one from Honda for the 5-6 carb adjuster. It is still available from Honda, last I knew.

Dave

tevan
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by tevan »

I do not have a extra one but you can fab one up useing a spring steel out of scrap banding material . I have done it in the past and works great!

NobleHops
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by NobleHops »

I used a 4-inch length of 1-inch diameter tubing for a short spell, and that worked perfectly too
Nils Menten
Tucson, Arizona, USA '80 CBX, sort-of restored :-)

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

Thanks guys! I will go with the 1-inch PVC tube for now until I find a more professional solution!

oroepke
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by oroepke »

So I got the airbox on, bike runs well, at least above 3k rpm, plugs have a nice color, I can tell that I lost power in the 7k+ range, as it was to be expected. Getting ready to sync the carbs now, there is a stumble off idle that I hopefully can cure away.

For the heck of it, I can't figure out how to mount that little white container, that catches the juices coming out of the airbox from the crank vent. Must be somewhere under the left side cover I guess, but where exactly? Can anyone post a pic?

I'll let you know how the syncing goes. I have the longer sync tool, hopefully I can reach all adjusters with it. Have a good weekend everyone!

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”