Custom made air box.

Paul Van Oss
New Member & Happy To Be Here
New Member & Happy To Be Here

Custom made air box.

Post by Paul Van Oss »

Made my own air box using the rubber manifolds from the original air box. Had it chromed and I am going to install
Uni red foam in the housing.
Easier resetting and I think it looks really great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Custom made air box.

Post by 512tr »

Interesting, you will probably need some carb rejetting. I like when people dare to try out new things šŸ˜ŠšŸ‘

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

WAY TOO much airflow for the CV carbs to operate correctly. Good luck.

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

CBX-tras wrote: ā†‘
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:18 am
WAY TOO much airflow for the CV carbs to operate correctly. Good luck.
If so, he could easily make a restriction plate to control the airflow into his DIY filter box.
Give the man some credit for what he's trying to došŸ˜Š

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

There's no logical reason to reinvent this wheel. The stock system works.

The key here, is after your carburetors have been thoroughly and properly rebuilt, is to maintain them properly so you don't have to take them off and on to clean them, again and again.

Use quality components during the rebuild.
Install an inline fuel filter.
Turn the petcock "OFF" every time the motor isn't running.
Drain and/or run the carbs dry at the end of your day's ride.

Do this, and your carbs won't give you any trouble for years.

Additionally, I've been a fabricator for over 40 years. I totally appreciate this fellow's work and effort that appears nice.
However, CV carbs need an exact vacuum signal to operate as designed. They don't want more airflow and can sometimes run better with a little less. These are not like direct lift carburetors.
As soon as everyone learns and understands that the hundreds of Keihin and Honda engineers knew what they were doing during their development of this induction system, they'll leave it alone.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

....or the highway !
Bob
82 CBX, 81 CBX, CB1100F, 79/82 CB900F (avatar)

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:05 am

The key here, is after your carburetors have been thoroughly and properly rebuilt, is to maintain them properly so you don't have to take them off and on to clean them, again and again.

Additionally, I've been a fabricator for over 40 years. I totally appreciate this fellow's work and effort that appears nice.
However, CV carbs need an exact vacuum signal to operate as designed. They don't want more airflow and can sometimes run better with a little less. These are not like direct lift carburetors.
As soon as everyone learns and understands that the hundreds of Keihin and Honda engineers knew what they were doing during their development of this induction system, they'll leave it alone.
In one way Iā€™m agree with you but, in another way disagree with you.

Some of us like to customize things, make things different, the time in the garage trying out new solutions and fabricating things can many times be as enjoyable and satisfying as riding the bike.

For me, riding a bike with custom /DIY solutions that really works is much more satisfying than riding an OEM bike.

Many customizing steps improves the CBX, some you must make a compromise between OEM functionality and looks.

Personally, I donā€™t like the OEM airbox, it hides the unique look of the 6 carbs, also if the carbs can be removed without tilting the engine it is a huge advance, especially if you need to play and experimenting with jetting due custom exhaust, big bore pistons, custom air filter etc.

I do not at all doubt that those hundreds of engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the filter box, will assume they also have some emission issues to consider, find the proper position for the filter as well easy access to the filter, which may have limited their ability to design the optimal solution.

Using that argument about the Honda design engineers, what about those hundreds of engineers that designed the state-of-the-art rear swingarm, or those incredible 35mm front forksā€¦ they work (in a way)ā€¦. but still, many replace them. 8)

People are different, some get their custom made induction system to work, some donā€™t, but both probably have an enjoyable time doing it, and learn a lot on the way to success (or failure). :-)

For me, most of my custom ā€œinventionsā€ goes straight into the bin, but when I succeed itā€™s like Christmas eve. :shock:

Manny use pods, even some use velocity stacks with the CV carbs, and get it to work in a satisfactory way.

This Spanish guy use velocity stacks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTVPU385ycU

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

512tr wrote: ā†‘
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:11 am
Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:05 am

In one way Iā€™m agree with you but, in another way disagree with you.

Some of us like to customize things, make things different, the time in the garage trying out new solutions and fabricating things can many times be as enjoyable and satisfying as riding the bike.

For me, riding a bike with custom /DIY solutions that really works is much more satisfying than riding an OEM bike.

Many customizing steps improves the CBX, some you must make a compromise between OEM functionality and looks.

Personally, I donā€™t like the OEM airbox, it hides the unique look of the 6 carbs, also if the carbs can be removed without tilting the engine it is a huge advance, especially if you need to play and experimenting with jetting due custom exhaust, big bore pistons, custom air filter etc.

I do not at all doubt that those hundreds of engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the filter box, will assume they also have some emission issues to consider, find the proper position for the filter as well easy access to the filter, which may have limited their ability to design the optimal solution.

Using that argument about the Honda design engineers, what about those hundreds of engineers that designed the state-of-the-art rear swingarm, or those incredible 35mm front forksā€¦ they work (in a way)ā€¦. but still, many replace them. 8)

People are different, some get their custom made induction system to work, some donā€™t, but both probably have an enjoyable time doing it, and learn a lot on the way to success (or failure). :-)

For me, most of my custom ā€œinventionsā€ goes straight into the bin, but when I succeed itā€™s like Christmas eve. :shock:

Manny use pods, even some use velocity stacks with the CV carbs, and get it to work in a satisfactory way.

:text-+1: :text-thankyouyellow:
Bob

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

The width of the engine is what 'limited their ability to design the optimal solution'. They succeeded in many unique ways, made a bike that was actually rideable (you ever ride a bike with pods that gets the inside of your knees all greasy and deafens you with the intake honk?), narrow where it had to be and a perfectly serviceable air filter.

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

"Some of us like to customize things, make things different, the time in the garage trying out new solutions and fabricating things can many times be as enjoyable and satisfying as riding the bike." (Quoted from above).

Have you seen my latest CBX build? The only 2 items that weren't modified from stock is the gas cap and the petcock. But not one of the hundreds of mods were done without plenty of research and/or knowledge.
My bike that's shown on the home page today, built 12 years ago, only had the filter box removed and it took me weeks to sort it out to get it to run as good as a stock bike.

I've been around these bikes for decades and I'm fairly certain that I know how these carbs work, what they like and what they don't like.

Form follows function, always.

But, don't let me stop you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Nice work Paul. Looks great !
As for the critics, I can't find the imogee for "biting my tongue"...
Bob

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

Paul Van Oss wrote: ā†‘
Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:49 am
Made my own air box using the rubber manifolds from the original air box. Had it chromed and I am going to install
Uni red foam in the housing.
Easier resetting and I think it looks really great!
How do you plan to support the Uni foam ?
Bob

Larry Zimmer
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt
ICOA Web Post/Pix/Video Archive Mgt

Post by Larry Zimmer »

I'll say this, Paul, your airbox looks great. As to its function, I don't know. (Only the dyno can tell!) And, with some jet tweeking, I'm certain your X will run well. Good on ya. Keep on having fun.
Larry Zimmer
cbxlarry@sbcglobal.net

512tr
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by 512tr »

Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:45 am
"Some of us like to customize things, make things different, the time in the garage trying out new solutions and fabricating things can many times be as enjoyable and satisfying as riding the bike." (Quoted from above).

Have you seen my latest CBX build? The only 2 items that weren't modified from stock is the gas cap and the petcock. But not one of the hundreds of mods were done without plenty of research and/or knowledge.
My bike that's shown on the home page today, built 12 years ago, only had the filter box removed and it took me weeks to sort it out to get it to run as good as a stock bike.

I've been around these bikes for decades and I'm fairly certain that I know how these carbs work, what they like and what they don't like.

Form follows function, always.

But, don't let me stop you.
I have no doubt you have tremendous knowledge about the CBX, but why not give advice/comment to others in a little bit more diplomatic and polite way, instead of sitting on your high horse and shout out in an ā€œIā€™m an expert, do as I say!ā€ manners.

BTW your bikes look very nice, and thanks for not going to stop me...whatever I'm fooling around with. :-)

Paul, sorry for hijacking your tread with this BS, good luck with your project and keep up the good work.

bobcat
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by bobcat »

BTW, Mr. Irimajiri (CBX designer) and a handful of Honda engineers chose the Keihin
CV design carb because it accomplished what Irimajiri wanted which was to respond
only to the demand of the cyl. regardless of how far the throttle was opened.
It was not a collaboration of an "ant mound" of Honda and Keihin engineers to design
the induction sys. for the CBX. That was Irimajiri's doings.

There's more but I'll stop there except to say that Paul kept the stock velocity stacks
which is the important part.
Bob

Return to ā€œCARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and Moreā€