Detaching Carb throttle links

MtnMann
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Detaching Carb throttle links

Post by MtnMann »

Hi there,

I couldn't find info on how to detach the throttle links on my '81 CBX to separate the carbs. (Not talking cables. Just the little adjustable rods to the throttle butterfly shafts.) My seals are in good shape so I can't see under them and don't want to tear them. Are these just ball joints that pop off? Or is it necessary to remove the bolt at the end that is locked in place with the bent tabs?

Thanks for any advice!

MtnMann
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Detaching Carb throttle links

Post by MtnMann »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MtnMann
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MtnMann »

Nevermind. Figured it out. Had to remove the end bolt to release the ball. Hopefully this helps someone else…

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You'll be very lucky if some or all of the joint rubbers do not tear. Heat helps, but most are very brittle. Replacements are readily available. You MUST have good joint rubbers or you cannot sync the carbs. Also, do not lose either of the powdered metal slugs or spring inside the joint, the ones in the caps are really easy to fall out.

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

We have the link seals in stock as well as complete VITON rebuilding kits (link seals, vent Tees and choke shaft seals included with the Concours kit).

Drop a note to: sales@kmcarburetor.com if interested.

MtnMann
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MtnMann »

Thanks for the replies.
This bike has been in storage since ‘88 so the rubber seals are still in incredibly good condition. They didn’t break at all. But these look like a simpler design than the earlier ones.
Also, these throttle links (‘81) don’t have springs like I see in the earlier ones - just the internal plug with concave rubberized ends that go up against the ball joints. I also have a ‘79 that I haven’t dove into yet.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Be very careful - the joints DO have a spring at the very bottom. As I said before, don't lose any of those small parts. A good way to lose them is to leave the joint attached as in your other pic. There are four separate small parts inside each joint.

Dave

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

MtnMann wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:17 pm
Thanks for the replies.
This bike has been in storage since ‘88 so the rubber seals are still in incredibly good condition. They didn’t break at all. But these look like a simpler design than the earlier ones.
Also, these throttle links (‘81) don’t have springs like I see in the earlier ones - just the internal plug with concave rubberized ends that go up against the ball joints. I also have a ‘79 that I haven’t dove into yet.
The links are the same for all years. Spring at the bottom as Dave said, to eliminate any play.

Enlarge the diagram here to see the assembly of #7:
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... retor-assy

If you click on the part number, it will show you all the models it was used on.

MtnMann
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MtnMann »

Thanks for clarifying. I did find the spring at the bottom upon reassambly. I'm not sure what pic I was seeing previously but maybe it wasn't to a CBX. It showed a keyhole slot in the side of the link for the ball joint to fit through and then a long seal that covered both ends with one seal. Oh well. All good.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Jury still out on whether all is good. Be VERY careful upon reassembly. You are replacing all the rubber parts with Viton?

Dave

MtnMann
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MtnMann »

2A4E682E-2446-4613-BF3F-9F9DEA280DC7.jpeg
Yeah, these are a bit finicky to re-assemble. Seems that everything is correct. Still have to do a test with fuel to check for leaks 🤞 Also waiting on an accelerator pump diaphragm before they go back in the bike.

Any tips on ‘staking’ choke plate screws?

I also posted a separate topic but I’m looking for the lengths of the long and short versions of the carb sync wrenches. I’ll make some so I can sync these guys up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

Did you install new o-rings in all joints? Did you remove the pressed in idle jets? Trying to help you here but you never answered those questions. You will need the tool to do that, but it needs done before you put them back on the bike. If you put the original screws back in the choke plates, they won’t come out. You’ll need a vacuum source to wet test the carbs with the vacuum valve installed. Carefully check the accelerator pump circuit operation as well.

Dave

MtnMann
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by MtnMann »

Yes, thanks. Pulled idle jets. All passages clear including entire accelerator pump circuit. New o-rings everywhere. Aware of vacuum valve needing to be actuated to allow fuel to flow. I prefer to stake choke plate screws as even though they may not come out, just coming loose can allow plates to move and hang up on the carb body. I had to loosen the plates to allow for self-aligning after re-assembling carbs…

daves79x
ICOA Technical Director
ICOA Technical Director

Post by daves79x »

You'll likely do more damage than help trying to stake the screws. Most guys use Locktight, but the stock screws are an automatic interference fit as they go back in.

Dave

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”