Pull Throttle Cable

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Pull Throttle Cable

Post by Spooky#1 »

Seems the Motion Pro 02-0334 cable leaves little room for adjustment, had to back the primary adjuster under the tank all the way out and the one on the handlebar switch pod is all the way out from the factory. There is only one nut on the carb end that only serves to lock the cable to the bracket. The instructions in the shop manual aren't much help either.

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Re: Pull Throttle Cable

Post by Spooky#1 »

I just checked the cable adjusters again and they are both extended to their maximum in order to pick up the slack.
Anyone else?

Crazy Canuck
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by Crazy Canuck »

I'm not sure about the part number, but I had the same issue when installing mine. It leaves no room for adjustment later when the cable stretches, which will happen.
My plan was to cut off the end and somehow press a new one on....haven't figured that out yet though.
Last edited by Crazy Canuck on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forrest Miller :thumupp:

Honda CBX 1000- "A cosmic haymaker of a motorcycle" -Mr. Tadashi Kume

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spooky#1 »

Thanks for responding, thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

I was going koo koo myself. There is no adjustment in middle like stock cables and like you , I am adjusted to max.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.
Past rides : FZ1, BMWS100rr,S1000r,k1300S,YAMA RD350,Enfield 350

CBX-tras
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by CBX-tras »

That's the problem with the Motion Pro cables, almost like stock but, not exactly. Contact Louis to see if he has any. Be sitting down when he quotes you the price.

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spooky#1 »

A second nut on the carb end of the cable might be the answer. Remove the cable from the bracket, remove the cable end from the throttle link, slip the first nut over the cable end thread it all the way up, run the second all the way to the bottom end, reattach the cable end to the throttle link, slide the assembly into the mounting bracket and then use the upper nut to adjust the slack and the bottom nut to lock the cable in place. Plenty of threads to adjust out the the slack before using the midway adjustment and fine adjustment at the handlebar.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

CBX-tras wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:13 am
That's the problem with the Motion Pro cables, almost like stock but, not exactly. Contact Louis to see if he has any. Be sitting down when he quotes you the price.
Lol. I actually got a good price on a pair of side covers from him.
I went with motionpro because they were slightly shorter and were perfect for my application. Little did I know that there is no adjustments
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

AshishNJ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by AshishNJ »

Spooky#1 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:37 pm
A second nut on the carb end of the cable might be the answer. Remove the cable from the bracket, remove the cable end from the throttle link, slip the first nut over the cable end thread it all the way up, run the second all the way to the bottom end, reattach the cable end to the throttle link, slide the assembly into the mounting bracket and then use the upper nut to adjust the slack and the bottom nut to lock the cable in place. Plenty of threads to adjust out the the slack before using the midway adjustment and fine adjustment at the handlebar.
There is no midway adjust with motionpro.
1979 CBX (faster Red)
1981 CBX Streetfighter
2017 Aprilia Tuono.

Spooky#1
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Post by Spooky#1 »

There is on the Motion Pro pull cable, it's designed the same as the Honda one. You're thinking of the push cable, it doesn't have a midway adjustment.

herdygerdy
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by herdygerdy »

Spooky#1, what bars do you have on your bike? If you have the USA high bars, I may have a pair of OEM cables in good order that you would be welcome to for not a lot of money. Let me know via PM and I'll have a dig around in my stash.

EMS
ICOA Member
ICOA Member

Post by EMS »

It is not only about the height of the bars and the length of the cables. Main thing is the SWITCH. The U.S. cables have completely different attachment to the switch as compared to the top-exit "Euro" or "Sport Kit" switch.

Return to “CARBS: Cleaning, Rebuilding, Swaps, Aftermarket, Tuning, Syncing, and More”